Enduro frames

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited July 2016 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking for something to replace my Scout frame.
Needs to be 140-160mm rear travel and take a 160mm fork. Aluminium frame. Space to fit a coil shock. 27.5" wheel compatible non boost.
Built to take some abuse and ideally as slack as yer mum. Budget of £1500ish

Transition Patrol is currently top of the list but I don't have a lot of ideas so looking for suggestions.

Comments

• GT sanction with a fox x2 shock for £1300, cheaper with a float x

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/frames-fo ... Gwoda0kASw
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • rockmonkeysc
    Trance is a great bike. A nice trail bike but it's no enduro bike. I'd love a Reign but it's not available frame only. Trance isn't quite slack or long enough. With a 160mm fork they just loose their nice neutral cornering.
    Not sure about the GT, I've never ridden a full suspension GT that I liked. They just feel a bit weird.
  • kickaxe
    What about a 150mm fork? Lots of people love their trance with a 150.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • rockmonkeysc
    Yeah. It's still not an enduro bike though. I'm looking for something nice and long with a 65/66 degree head angle.
    My Scout is probably a bit more capable as an enduro bike than the Trance.
  • kickaxe
    Ok, gotcha. (Trances have a 66° Headangle eben of it's not advertised that way, can be confirmed by several MBR reviews and my own measurements)
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Airdrop edit
    Bird aeris
    Non boost frame it's unlikely as it's the new trend, but you all ready know that I guess!
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    On one codeine 27.5?
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    canyon strive?!!! :mrgreen:
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Dune.

The NS bike are meant to really nice not ridden them personally though. Wasn't blown away by the nomad, it was good but not my cuppa tea, Rocky mountain stuff is sworn by by my local skills instructors too
  • rockmonkeysc
    Dune was on the list but it won't take a coil shock without the help of a dremmel.
    Banshee Rune is definitely on the list. Proper good bike.
    On One is too flexy. Canyon Strive is a cracking suggestion.
    Bird warranty might be handy with what I've got planned :-)
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Dune was on the list but it won't take a coil shock without the help of a dremmel.
    Banshee Rune is definitely a possibility. Proper weapon.
    On One is too flexy for the abuse it will get. Not convinced the Bird is quite what I want, more of a trail bike. The Canyon is cracking though.
    Boost frames are definitely out, there's loads of non boost options and I don't want to buy a new hub and cranks.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    it was a toss up between the suppressor and the rune for me.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Is the suppressor basically a 26" Patrol?
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I was in a transition dealers last week,and the guy working there told me this is the last year they are doing the Suppressor,I have a Patrol and really do like it,I also looked at a Knolly Warden when i decided to go go more enduro/AM than trail bike
  • rockmonkeysc
    I looked at the Knolly and discounted it. I forget the reason why now. Must have another look.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Knolly is very expensive. Geometry looks spot on and reviews are good but not sure it's going to be worth the extra £400 over a Patrol.
  • eric_draven
    The Knolly is very expensive. Geometry looks spot on and reviews are good but not sure it's going to be worth the extra £400 over a Patrol.

I never really look at buying new though,I nearly always buy secondhand,i no you don't no the history etc,but with the price of bikes in general at the moment,this seems the only way i can change bikes every 2-3 years,some used Knolly's were a good buy with great spec when i was looking around,but I am impressed with my Patrol,only thing is it sits low with the recommended sag,I'm running mine a bit firmer,defo don't want 175 cranks on one
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    I think you'd get on with the Bird doing from your Scout and sizing would work in your favour.

Meta v4 isn't a bad shout either from a few goes I've had on a friends bike although I found it a touch short.

Devinchi Spartan for the upper end of the travel scale?
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • rockmonkeysc

I never really look at buying new though,I nearly always buy secondhand,i no you don't no the history etc,but with the price of bikes in general at the moment,this seems the only way i can change bikes every 2-3 years,some used Knolly's were a good buy with great spec when i was looking around,but I am impressed with my Patrol,only thing is it sits low with the recommended sag,I'm running mine a bit firmer,defo don't want 175 cranks on one

I've ridden a Patrol and love the way it rides. I lake the extra sag, keeps it properly stuck to the ground and keeps it nice and stable.
    Some of the stuff my mate has done on his is proper nuts, especially Air Voltage at Chatel in the wet!
    I've looked used but limited choices in large size and some look like they've got some nasty scars.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Still not sure. It's between that and the Banshee at the moment.
    Emailed a Giant dealer in the US to see if they will ship a Reign frame over here. For some reason the frame only option is only available in the US.
  • eric_draven
    I've looked used but limited choices in large size and some look like they've got some nasty scars.

took me a while to find one that was right for me,but I was in no great rush to buy,have you asked a Giant dealer to see if they might be able to get you a Reign frame,always worth an ask,if you haven't already
  • rockmonkeysc
    Yep, I've asked a fee. They can't get them.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    why not just buy one from the states? Shop should be able to send it over here surely?

if not I'd put an order in for a patrol
  • eric_draven
    chainreaction have deals on Knolly's with Cane Creek shocks at the moment
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    Vitus Escarpe 135 rear travel, will take 160 fork, HA at around 65/66. Plenty of spare beer tokens! Not seen a coil on one but I can't see why not. Or the sommet with more travel.
  • rockmonkeysc
    anj132 wrote:
    Vitus Escarpe 135 rear travel, will take 160 fork, HA at around 65/66. Plenty of spare beer tokens! Not seen a coil on one but I can't see why not. Or the sommet with more travel.

No thanks. Seen a couple and they don't look good after six months use. Not built to last.