Neck Brace.

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited July 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi All.

What do you need to look for when buying a neck brace, I want to get one for my 11 year old, I understand about the right height/chest size but there seem so many different designs, so what do I need to look for ?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Leatt or Alpinestars are the two best. Make sure you get one which is compatible with armour.
    Personally, I gave up wearing mine after it smashed my collar bone twice in relatively minor crashes.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    Leatt or Alpinestars are the two best. Make sure you get one which is compatible with armour.
    Personally, I gave up wearing mine after it smashed my collar bone twice in relatively minor crashes.

Thanks for the reply, I might have this wrong, but talking to a fella at our local DH track he said he had a neck brace that was designed to break a collar bone in nasty crash, so he had sold that one and got one that dissipates the force would that be correct and if so what sort of brace is that ??

As you can tell I don't know a lot about this sort of thing.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They all put the majority of the force through the collar bones. I used a Leatt carbon brace, which was about the best.
    Two or three years ago they were extremely popular in downhill racing, everyone got fed up with breaking collar bones and they're quite rare in racing now. They're also only good if the medic attending an accident knows how to deal with it. If the helmet needs to come off in a suspected spinal injury it's more difficult with a neck brace.