Upgrading wheels to tubeless

GolfChick
GolfChick Posts: 14
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Still running the RS11's that came with my Cannondale Synapse 5 road bike but would quite like to upgrade the wheels because I'd like to go tubeless. I've been looking round today but not sure whats best, I think I'd be prepared to pay £500 - £1000 but ideally £750 and below. I rode 75 miles last weekend and plan another two 80 mile routes as well as commuting home 22 miles occasionally and firing out 40 miles locally when time is against me. I dont race and just do it to compliment my off-road running and more importantly my mountain biking.

I dont mind buying a complete wheelset or getting a set of wheels built up so would appreciate some recommendations either way or should I ignore tubeless because it doesnt really change your life as much as tubeless on an MTB does? Cheers!

Comments

• mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    You could get a set of really nice wheels of hand built wheels for that budget, and if you use a 2-way fit rim then you have the option of running tubeless or with inner tubes. Pacenti SL23s get recommended but speaking from experience the original versions crack at the rim bed, and the revised ones have a ridiculously narrow brake track. I've worked as a professional mechanic, and I've seen it a lot.

Instead, take a look at Boyd wheels http://www.boydcycling.com/2016-altamon ... -clincher/ - you can get them via Noble Wheels in the UK (no affiliation, but they're a great company).

As for tubeless road as a system... Well, it's a bit meh. I know a few people who've run it on various wheel and tyre combinations, and they've all reverted to tubes in the end.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    There are many other good tubeless compatible rims from kinlin, dt swiss e.t.c in fact those two brands have the best options. Pacenti's are nice too. Hed rims are perfect. Never tried the velocity quill as it never seemed to make it here nit the a23 rim is a decent rim for the money. Stans alpha 400 is worth a look as well . Also rims like the archetype work just fine with tubeless tyres. The wheels i raced on tonight do not have tubeless rims but they take tubeless tyres without issue.
    Have you tried fittkng tubeless tape, some valves, tyres and sealant to your rs11's and seeing what happens?
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.