Tyres - wrong way round?

allen-uk
allen-uk Posts: 146
edited July 2016 in Commuting general
A neighbour, who knows more than me, tells me that my front tyre has been put on the 'wrong way round', with the tread 'arrows' pointing backwards rather than forwards.

Cobblers, or should I take note and change it round? (Disc brakes, so it'd mean taking the tyre right off first).

What (realistically) difference does it make?

Thanks.

Allen.

Comments

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    You should be able to check yourself, as the tyre would ordinarily have a direction arrow moulded to the side wall. If it's an MTB, then arrows going forward means that the tyres will shed mud rather than just clog up.
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    I recall one manufacturer of road tyres stating that they only started putting direction arrows on their tyres to stop all the queries from customers asking which way they should go. I can't find a reference for that now, but here's a quote from Schwalbe:
    In the case of a road tyre the rolling direction is mainly important for aesthetic considerations. Tires marked with arrows simply look more dynamic..

Off road, the rolling direction is far more important, as the tread ensures optimumconnection between the tyre and the ground. The rear wheel transmits the driving force and the front wheel transmits the braking and steering forces. Driving and braking forces operate in different directions. That is why certain tyres are fitted in opposite rotating directions when used as front and rear tyres.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    It makes bugger all difference what way round they are. The purpose of a tread in road use is to prevent aquaplaning, which is impossible on a narrow bike tyre.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you have a proper chunky directional tread on the tyre it's best fitted the right way round. Such tread will help with traction / steering / mud shedding off-road. For most road tyres, even those with some kind of sumbliminal pattern it really makes no difference.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The point of the V of the tread should hit the ground first as this then pushes any water out along the grooves, but as noted for a bike it's pretty meaningless as you will never aquaplane on skinny road based tyres anyway.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • allen-uk
    allen-uk Posts: 146
    Thanks all. Schwalbe Marathon road tyres, so seems neighbour was misinformed. (Sheldon Brown backs your general view, too, i.e. that it's cobblers for road use and nearly cobblers for mountain tracks.)

Thanks for the advice.

A