Dangerous cycling (London Commute)

ydrol
ydrol Posts: 39
edited July 2016 in Commuting chat
Keep an eye out for this guy (not my video)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CGP0MhcRvE

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Looks to me like he deliberately leant into the Boris biker?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    seems that way
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    :shock: good job that truck left plenty of room that could have been very messy. There was plenty of room to pass safely so it does look like a punishment pass that was badly misjudged. Although having avoided the metalwork beforehand the guy did seem to have another wobble just before hitting him. Was it just dangerously bad bike handling?
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    Generous benefit-of-the-doubt interpretation would be that he wasn't properly looking where he was going, perhaps looking down to avoid the double iron grate that's just there, and the Boris bike was much slower than he anticipated. At the same time he's swerving sharper than intended for the Boris, he hears the lorry and instinctively abandons the Boris-avoid losing control at the same time, hitting the Boris. But cowardly carrying on rather than apologizing.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    He's a nob- but I think that was more likely to be accidental than intentional. He could easily have come down himself.

Poor Boris Biker - thats a bit of a shock.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    watched that half a dozen times and I think he deliberately sticks his elbow out
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    elbowloh wrote:
    Looks to me like he deliberately leant into the Boris biker?

It does indeed. His shoulder is definitely a battering ram! I wonder how he'd have felt if the Boris Biker ended up under the lorry?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Way too much of this sh!t going on.

I suggested to some bell end triathlete on his tri bars that he cover his brakes whilst drafting in traffic and I got no end of sh!t from him nor from the bells ends around me. "I'm just trying to have fun" was a classic too.
  • shandy123
    shandy123 Posts: 9
    R Sole, like the camera owner said.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Complete idiot! He can't have expected to go through the Boris so was always going to leave the cycle lane. And never even shoulder checked! Third option was to hit the Boris I suppose. Fool.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    rower63 wrote:
    Generous benefit-of-the-doubt interpretation would be that he wasn't properly looking where he was going, perhaps looking down to avoid the double iron grate that's just there, and the Boris bike was much slower than he anticipated. At the same time he's swerving sharper than intended for the Boris, he hears the lorry and instinctively abandons the Boris-avoid losing control at the same time, hitting the Boris. But cowardly carrying on rather than apologizing.

Yep that would be my guess
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    itboffin wrote:
    rower63 wrote:

Yep that would be my guess
    Either that or he was frooming. It was a misjudgement, that's all. In any case, the no-bend would not have been aware of what had happened behind him. At the very least should have stopped and said mia culpa. So, no class (Rapha wearer so goes without saying), far too self important to have made a mistake, but no malice I don't think.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    first few times I viewed it, I thought cheeky so and so has tried a punishment pass, but just screwed up how much room there was, as I thought I could see the front wheel steer towards rather than away from the Boris biker which puts them on a collision.

but then I viewed it again and thought, well maybe it was accidental, you are under that bridge and the traffic noise is going to sound alot nearer than it is, and maybe its more a panic wobble if you think you are going to be heading out of the cycle lane and the brace of the elbow is just the reaction to an imminent impact, though theres always why dont you just use your brakes...

either way it was brainless, totally unnecessary and a completely avoidable collision that could have ended disastrously.
  • fat_tail
    just taken a real close look and at 10 secs it is clear that he deliberately leant in ...
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I hope the nasty piece of work who almost caused a fatal accident is stupid enough to upload onto Strava - can you be arrested on flyby evidence? I don't think he meant to do that - I think he got caught up with indecision; pass, hear lorry on right shoulder, don't pass, not enough time to slow, pass but not enough room... The shoulder goes to the left the balance the move - not to barge; well I hope not - the alternative is too bad to think of
  • Just my opinion, but I think it was intentional.

The bloke is an idiot.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    If I had been behind, I would have accelerated and had a few strong words with that piece of sh*t.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    I can't believe it was intentional - that amount of contact would have a high likelihood of bringing yourself down as well wouldn't it? Completely crazy not to just slow down though.

Very not cool to ride off without checking about the victim and apologising.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    I really hope it wasn't intentional. I think I would have had words as Gabriel said, I hope the guy gets to see the footage and realise quite what an issue he caused.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    ... So, no class (Rapha wearer so goes without saying), far too self important to have made a mistake, but no malice I don't think...

Top trolling. 8/10. Would feed again.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    thats not deliberate for me, noone genuinely does that deliberately. do they?

i had a massive go at some woman this morning, set of cross roads comes flying through on red and turns right across all the traffic. she then is grovelling up a tiny incline. and i thought thats the last i see of her as i went past her. but no, another set of lights and i got caught in them so stopped, right turn, no filter so move into the middle of the crossroad junction when the lights go green. HUGE tipper truck coming up the other way so i wait for it to clear past. She comes smashing through, almost straight into me and cuts right in front of the tipper truck.

when it was clear i went through, caught her as i was riding faster than her, and just shouted at her to get some self awareness of she'll end up dead.

prick.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    spasypaddy wrote:
    prick.

Its a female so "cnut" would be more appropriate.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • fat_tail
    the fact that he didn't stop would indicate to me that he deliberately did it. if it had been an accident normal behaviour would be to stop and check if everything was OK.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Looks totally unintentional to me; that's exactly the stance I end up adopting when I have to switch lines unexpectedly on a CX course; left elbow/shoulder are out to maintain balance, the unlucky Boris biker just happened to be in the way.

Pretty stupid to get into that situation though, and very poor form not to stop and apologise...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • jfparis
    jfparis Posts: 22
    fat_tail wrote:
    the fact that he didn't stop would indicate to me that he deliberately did it. if it had been an accident normal behaviour would be to stop and check if everything was OK.

Stopping would have wrecked pride and attempt to establish a new PR on strava :)

More seriously it is sad to have close passes and near misses with other fellow cyclists. Would it have been a guy on a phone RLJing nearly knocking someone else at least I could have have an explanation (not that I understand or accept).

But close passes here or elsewhere with people who seems to know what they are doing is just plain crazy.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    He's uploaded a longer version showing the rider waiting at the next set of traffic lights.
    Unfortunately he didn't know exactly who it was at the time, so didn't give him an earful in case it was the wrong bloke.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...