Fork seals

Lungs94
Lungs94 Posts: 160
edited July 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Does anyone know where I can buy foam rings ONLY for FOX 36 forks? what foam rings do I need to use for Fox Float CTD rear shock? can I use FOX 32mm foam rings for FOX 36?
Bikes:
2013 Mondraker Dune XR - XX1 XO1 Hope, Easton Carbon, Fox
Voodoo Bizango XT - Hope, Pikes, Mavic

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You have to use the right diameter foam rings for reasons I would have thought were blindingly obvious?

Commonly they come as a set with the dust seals which should be changed at the same time.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Lungs94
    The Rookie wrote:
    You have to use the right diameter foam rings for reasons I would have thought were blindingly obvious?

Commonly they come as a set with the dust seals which should be changed at the same time.

Thanks for not answering my question, I didnt ask if they "commonly" come in a set with dust seals, I know they do. I asked where you can buy them separately, if you dont know where you can buy them separately then you needn't reply isn't that blindingly obvious? not trying to be rude but I dont comment if I can't help the person out.

FYI: I dont think it's "blindingly obvious", some people may not know what 32 or 36 means, at first I thought it was just the model, but obviously now I know it means diameter, sorry not all of us are pro mechanics like you mate.
    Bikes:
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    To be fair he did answer your question regarding whether 32mm foam rings can be used on 36mm forks.

And the advice about changing them with the seals is also good advice, especially as you are not a pro mechanic and wouldn't know this.

Try TF Tuned.
  • The Rookie
    Fox don't market the foams separately, so unless you can find someone selling parts from a split pack you won't get just the foams.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JGTR
    http://www.tftuned.com/mobile/tf-low-fr ... kits/p2929

£15 for rings, seals and washers - don't think you find better than that. Low friction upgrade aswell.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    what foam rings do I need to use for Fox Float CTD rear shock?

None, they don't use foam rings
    can I use FOX 32mm foam rings for FOX 36?

No
    Does anyone know where I can buy foam rings ONLY for FOX 36 forks?

They might.
  • Lungs94
    Turns out I actually have 2 packets of Fox 36mm seal kits, Just another question, should I soak the foam rings in Float fluid, or suspension fluid? I've heard it's better to soak them in Float Fluid?, for the rear shock and fork I know float fluid for rear shock, but what about fork?
    Bikes:
  • The Rookie
    Foam rings should be soaked in the same fluid you use for lubricating the lowers (as it is in the same space and will mix), so what is specified for that fork? Float fluid is 'a' suspension fluid, it's just a specific grade/type of fork oil.
  • Lungs94
    The Rookie wrote:
    Foam rings should be soaked in the same fluid you use for lubricating the lowers (as it is in the same space and will mix), so what is specified for that fork? Float fluid is 'a' suspension fluid, it's just a specific grade/type of fork oil.

Okay, I already knew that, but my fault for not wording the question properly, thanks anyways!
    Bikes:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Dust seals should be replaced at the same time as foam seals, which is why you can't buy them separately.
    They can be cleaned by soaking them in isopropyl alcohol and squeezing then a few times between sheets of tissue paper until they're clean.
  • Rightarmbad
    Rightarmbad Posts: 216
    Fox recommends soaking the foam in float fluid, and I do too.
    It tends to hang around the foam better than the gold stuff main fluid.
    Also put some Slick Honey on the seals and stanchions as you assemble them.

If the foam rings are stuffed then no doubt the seals will be toast too.
    Kit of both is cheap as chips.

All of this stuff is easily available on the Fox website which you will have to visit anyways to find the oil volumes for the fork you have.
    If you have an older fork, use the new low friction seals and switch to the Gold oil, it's way better.
    Do not use the Gold oil with the older seals, it eats them.

The rear shock just needs a cheap kit that has new support rings, seal, and o-ring or figure 8 ring.
    Put it all together with Slick Honey and then pop the supplied pillow pack of Float fluid in the valve hole, replace valve and then pump up.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Slick honey is stupid price and nothing special.
    Pedros synthetic grease is much better value and Rock Oil do a suspension grease for a fraction of the price which is basically the same.
  • JGTR
    Or just buy small amounts from eBay, cost more per gram but cheap enough for the amount you will use.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    JTech suspension sell foam rings for Rockshox separately, they might sell Fox ones.
    Behind the Bike Shed used to sell Rockshox ones, but they don't list them on their website any more so might have stopped selling them.

The foam rings are cheap so if you buy online you'll end up paying more in P&P unless you order lots of them (or something else at the same time).