Taking a bike on hols

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited July 2016 in Commuting chat
So we're off on hols to La Belle France (Poitiers way) in August, am humming and ha-ing about taking the bike. I have all the gear to do it (towbar rack, etc) but it's only me taking a bike, and seems a bit selfish just for me. Any other suggestions? Don't want to put it on roof 'cos that causes issues with the Chunnel

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Shouldn't you be discussing this with your partner?

Taking a bike round France to do one ride seems a bit pointless so you'd need to do a couple. But if that's going to cause friction don't bother.

Go back and do a proper bike break without the partner.
  • secretsam
    cougie wrote:
    Shouldn't you be discussing this with your partner?

Taking a bike round France to do one ride seems a bit pointless so you'd need to do a couple. But if that's going to cause friction don't bother.

Go back and do a proper bike break without the partner.

LOL do you think I'm mad enough not to ask her?????? No, she's fine with it - it's all me feeling guilty for the faff of the bike carrier. And I'd ride more than once...we're going to two weeks.

• rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    take 2 bikes and get her into cycling
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    rower63 wrote:
    take 2 bikes and get her into cycling
    If it's just me riding then I don't bother talking mine.

Besides, given we'll soon be limited to six bottles of duty free wine per person you really need to use the space and weight sensibly this year.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    Hire a bike.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    How long you been married Sam? Any kids involved? If you've been lumped together in marital bliss for more than a few years after a week of being cooped up together she'll be desperate for you to disappear for a few hours whilst she indulges in a bout of window shopping or lazing on the beach.

I've done it - took the bike with us on a UK hols and had a few outings on it. Reality is we both enjoyed it, and the kids hardly noticed as they had their phones and didn't realise I'd gone till I got back. Take your bike, fill your boots.

If you're still in the early days leave the bike at home and enjoy the time away.
  • secretsam
    CiB wrote:
    How long you been married Sam?

14 years. Her SecretSamness is more than happy for me to take a bike; she recognises the positive impact a bike ride has on my general mood; in other words - I'm unbearable if I can't go out! :lol:

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I always take my bike on family holidays, no one else rides.

However, I tend to get up early, and am back for 8.30-9am so there's little to no impact on the holiday other than me being a bit happier in the mornings and tired in the afternoons.

My kids are 6 and 8 so notice me not being there, also we tend to have to drive anywhere we're going on holiday so I can't disappear off for half a day.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I'm just back from a week in North Yorkshire and managed to squeeze in three trips on the bike on my own. If you are sensible about it, then it can enhance the overall holiday experience from everyone's point of view, and keep you and the other half from being in each others' back pockets for the whole time away. Go out early and be back early and it will be fine.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    prawny wrote:
    I always take my bike on family holidays, no one else rides.

However, I tend to get up early, and am back for 8.30-9am so there's little to no impact on the holiday....

I'm exactly the same with our holidays (Devon).
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    do it, do it, do it. Riding in France is great whether it's MTB or road or whatever.

don't feel guilty, you can enjoy an early morning ride whilst she's still in bed or on the beach or doing her own thing. even though you are a couple you don't have to spend 24/7 in each others pocket. Far better to be out on a bike staying fit, healthy and happy than down the pub boozing with the lads or out looking for other women.

Kids? Get them involved too. I have from a young age and now we go away together, me and my two boys without the wife. I'm heading to the alps on Monday with them to ride the alpine climbs and follow the tour.
    FCN = 4
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I was in the alps last week too, down-hilling in Morzine & Porte du soleil area with my riding mates.

Another guy who I vaguely know (friend of a friend etc) contacted me and said he was out there at the same time as me but with his girlfriend on a 'not a biking' holiday but he was likely to have a day free so could he ride with us? Of course, no problem.

We hooked up for a day and he loved it. He took his gf out the next day on the MTB and she hated it but was happy for him to hook up with us again, He rode three days with us but his gf was cool with it when we met up with them both for a post-prandial beer or two in Le Cottage (which is the place to be seen in Morzine nowadays).

Try it, what's the worst that could happen?
    FCN = 4
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Take it! Came back from a week in the Alps on the road bike last week. Stunning. So get it done or regret it.