Trance 2 brakes and rear hub

mathematics
mathematics Posts: 453
edited July 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all.

Got a Trance 2, recently and the rear brake seems spongy - I've bled it once and it felt OK, but the problem has recurred despite further bleeding. Any ideas what this may be?

Also the rear wheel feels to have some flex in it and can feel a bit squirmy. I this down to the wheel itself or the QR axle thingy?

Any help would be appreciated - I think the brakes I might just get the LBS to sort under warranty.

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the wheel is moving on it's axle then that will make the brakes feel spongy by pushing the pads back.

What rear wheel fitment (4mm QR in a 135x10 or one of the through axles)?

What make/model of brakes?

Rear wheel sideways movement (at the rim) you have to work through all the possibles, rim moving relative to hub (spoke tension), hub moving relative to axle (depends on the hub which is....) axle moving relative to frame (Locking method - usually QR - not tight) or rear triangle moving relative to front triangle (suspension pivots).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mathematics
    Cheers Rookie.

Brakes are deore 615s.

The wheel and hub is the stock Giant SXC2 I think. And the axle is a thin through axle DT Swiss/stock Giant.

The wheel just feels 'loose' and 'squirmy in corners in hard corners, never had this on my hardtail.
  • The Rookie
    That could just be the tyre/rim combination, small amount of flex at the rear.

As for the brakes, have a look, are the pads sitting off the disc when relaxed?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or if you're coming off a hardtail, it might just be the suspension working.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mathematics
    A bit of an update.

The brake lines run up hill down dale on the rear and think this may be this issue as I didn't think to account for this when bleeding.

On the rear wheel side the wheel has play in it! I can move it side to side when the wheel is in the frame, any ideas what this could be and fixes please?
  • cooldad
    Loose bearings. Adjustment depends if they're cup and cone or cartridge bearings.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mathematics
    cooldad wrote:
    Loose bearings. Adjustment depends if they're cup and cone or cartridge bearings.

Thanks cool dad. Not sure which they are. Will whip the wheel off and take a look. Haven't got any cone spanners though :/
  • cooldad
    If they are DT Swiss I'd assume cartridge bearings?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mathematics
    Just had the wheel off - loose bearings it is!!

Cup and cone so getting a mate to adjust. So that hopefully explains the problems!
  • cooldad
    Couple of cone spanners are about £5, get some.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    It will also create pad knock off and spongey brakes.

Hose routing doesn't affect bleeding the diameter is too small for the fluid to bypass air pockets in the hose.
  • mathematics
    The Rookie wrote:
    It will also create pad knock off and spongey brakes.

Hose routing doesn't affect bleeding the diameter is too small for the fluid to bypass air pockets in the hose.

Interesting, ta.