Budget hubs

louman999
louman999 Posts: 90
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
So I'm planning on building my first pair of wheels. However I'm sort of stuck when it comes to hubs. I would like something lightweight but still relatively cheap. I've had a look on but struggle to see any for sale as a pair. What are your recommendations?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Why lightweight? Cheap lightweight hubs are rubbish.

As an advice, don't start building your first set of wheels having "light" in mind, it's a recipe for failure
    left the forum March 2023
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Not that I'm any kind of expert, but these seem to be decent with a nice range of drillings http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/miche-primato-hubs
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    They are and they are not light
    left the forum March 2023
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Forget light and get Shimano ones. 105 5800 at about £65 a pair? Tiagra at about £45 a pair?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Novatec? A lot of custom wheel builders rate them enough to put their own logo on them for their off the shelf wheel sets. Might not last as long as Shimano but I assume if your competent enough to build a set of wheels changing a freehub body or a bearing isn't a big deal.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Novatec or Miche Primato, or Shimano 105. Novatec are probably the cheapest and with cartridge bearings, its easy to replace them.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Why do they need to be bought as a pair? You could just as easily buy a front and a rear...

Anyway - cheap, light, durable - pick any two...
  • Giraffoto
    drlodge wrote:
    Novatec or Miche Primato, or Shimano 105. Novatec are probably the cheapest and with cartridge bearings, its easy to replace them.

Superstar Icon hubs are Novatec, with the bearings already replaced with better quality SKF ones. But the good ol' Shimano cup-and-cone bearing hubs are still a fair bit cheaper.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    shimano are good. 105 are fine.
  • Giraffoto
    I've just checked prices and if all you want is a hub that does what hubs do, Shimano is the most obvious choice unless you want a Campagnolo freehub. Ultegra come in cheaper than Superstar, and the only thing against them is that they're not available in fewer than 32 hole drilling unless you get them as part of an Ultegra wheel. And I wouldn't be so concerned about having too many spokes . . .
    XM-057 rigid 29er