Cycle to Work advice - CAADX 105 Disc

adambruntlett
adambruntlett Posts: 257
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi guys, I'm sure this sort of question has been asked a thousand times but hopefully there will still be some appetite for answering! Sorry, long pre-amble to explain background...

I currently have one bike, a 2014 Cube Agree GTC Pro with 10 speed 105, which is stock except for the Shimano RS80 C50 wheels which come out in summer. I use this both for commuting into Central London (12 miles each way, 3-4 times a week) plus weekly club runs (50-60 miles, 19mph ish) as well as clipping on aero bars for the odd 10-mile TT. Essentially it does everything at the moment and it's a hassle cleaning it all the time after commuting on London's filthy roads. I took the Raceblades off in April and as a result I've been getting soaked in the lovely wet weather we've been having.

Work have announced a C2W window (using Cyclescheme) for the month of July, so I'm looking for a commuter and winter bike, moving the Cube to fair weather use only. At some point I might upgrade the groupset on the best bike to something better, but that's not a priority. So, I have been looking at a CX bike with discs for the following reasons:

More reliable braking in the wet
Option to mount guards (although I'm happy with raceblade longs and actually have a brand new set due to a warranty replacement after the mount failed and the rear guard came away and snapped)
Rack mounts - I currently stick all my work shit (clothes, laptop) in a rucksack which isn't ideal. I'd rather use panniers to give my back a bit of relief.
My OH and I are expecting our first child at the end of this year so the option to mount a child seat or trailer might also be handy.
Option of mounting fatter tyres for towpath riding.

But I also want to be able to use it for winter training and club runs, so it has to be moderately light so I can hold 18+ mph for 50-odd miles.

I'm thinking of the CAADX 105 Disc which looks like it can be had for £815. My only worries/concerns are:

1. Disc brakes - are they better than calipers and are they a ballache to maintain? (these are not hydraulic) part of me wants something I can potentially interchange with the 'best' bike but I realise it's 10-speed and the world has moved on to 11-speed, so unless I upgrade the gruppo and wheels on my Cube that's a moot point.

2. The CX gearing - it's got a 46/36 chainset with 11-28 cassette. Will this hamper me on the flat if I'm hammering it on club runs, leaving me under-geared?

3. Weight - it's about 10.5kg all-in, but I see the wheels weigh about 2.2kg. However, I'm not especially keen to start dicking about buying new wheels. I'll change the tyres for some 28s, probably GP4S, maybe even the set of 23s I've got knocking about until Autumn arrives.

Anyone got any thoughts or suggestions? Ideally under the £1000 limit as I'd rather not top up...

Comments

• milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    Friend of mine bought one last year and loves it, uses it as a cyclocross in poor weather and has toured on it.

He did upgrade the brakes to a cable operated hydraulic set up (if that makes sense...) on the recommendation of the LBS that he uses for servicing, he does say they are quite a bit better than standard but the brakes were good enough from new.
    I can't recall the name of the brake upgrade makers but could ask him.

He did however soon change the 42/36 chainrings to a 50/34 compact set up as he was running out of gears when using it on the road.

The bike does look good value.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Don't get a mechanical disc bike unless you acept that the brakes are poor for road use (shocking for off road use!!) and that this will be compounded with the extra weight of a child or trailer.

If you feel you may be in the slightest bit likely to 'upgrade' to the hydraulic calipers (TRP HY/RD) then just get the Ultegra/hydraulic CAADX now and save yourself the hassle.

I 'upgraded' to the HY/RD's and think they are rubbish compared with fully hydraulic.
    They are better on road (still v poor off road) and people rate them, but to buy a new bike and then put them on a few months later is madness IMO.

Hydraulic levers were not really around when I got my CX bike, and I am kicking myself for bothering with the HY/RD's when I did upgrade.
    I should have gone fully Hydraulic or just sold the bike.

No way would I ever buy a mechanical disc bike ever again.

The CX specific gearing sounds like it is going to be a mistake (see above about changing stuff like this on a new bike).
    When you upgrade the gearing on the current bike, you may well get semi compact, so you want at least compact on the winter bike IMO.

Apart from wanting bigger tyres for towpaths, I cannot see any reason to get a CX bike anyway (it sounds a good idea I know, but its not IME), especially an out and out CX bike like the CAADX.
    Unless you are going properly off road I would not bother with a CX bike.
    If you are going properly off road, I would not get a CX bike with mechanical discs.

I would get an adventure road (or just road bike if 28mm tyres are big enough) with hydraulic brakes if it had to be drop bar, but I would also consider (sorry for swearing) flat bars.

Child seat/trailer would be more enjoyable/sensible with a flat bar bike as you will have more control.
    How about a sporty hybrid?
    BMC Alpine Challenge?

Is there anything wrong with the groupset on the Cube?
    If not, how about a cheaper hybrid now, use the Cube in the winter, and then get a new road bike next year (or when funds allow)?

I know that does not get you discs on the winter road bike, but if you are considering mechanical discs anyway then Its still what I would do.

Just some thoughts :wink:
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Have a look at this for other bike options: viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13066053