Narrowing down the source of a noise

kingofthetailwind
kingofthetailwind Posts: 575
edited July 2016 in Workshop
So, I've a rough sounding noise which is developing into a loud click. Bike is a TCR with a Shimano press fit BB. Ambrosio Zenith (Novatec) rear hub.

Happens in both chainrings and all sprockets. In and out of the saddle. Only when pedaling. You can hear it all the time but louder under power. Can't really hear it with the bike on the stand unfortunately. Chain and cassette are new, clean and lubed. I was convinced it was the freehub - the freehub bearings felt very rough turning by hand. So I fitted a new freehub but the noise is still there. No biggie as the splines on the old one were in a right mess. NDS rear bearing feels fine, but as mentioned it's only when pedaling so if the issue is a bearing in the rear wheel it has to be the freehub bearing right?

Pedals are greased, on tight and turning smoothly.

Turning the cranks backwards with the chain on sounds rough/notchy.

With the chain off the cranks spin freely and don''t make any noise that I can hear. No vibration felt through the down tube or seat tube.

Could it still be the BB?

Comments

• dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    I've had similar symptoms recently and it turned out to be the quick-release skewers were a tiny fraction too loose. They seemed tight enough, but opening them and giving them another 1/16th turn did the trick. Worth a shot.
  • DAZZ_A
    DAZZ_A Posts: 74
    Any side-to-side play in the crank arms?
  • Yeah the QR is tight, I've had the wheel on and off a few times and the noise has been the same.

No play in the crank arms either. :?
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    When do you get the loud click? Is it every crank rev? Does it do it when you are in and out of the saddle? Does the frequency of the click increase as your road speed increases? Is it louder the harder you press on the pedals? Is it the same in big and small sprockets? Is it the same in both chainrings? You need some clues to narrow down the problem.
  • lesfirth wrote:
    When do you get the loud click? Is it every crank rev? Does it do it when you are in and out of the saddle? Does the frequency of the click increase as your road speed increases? Is it louder the harder you press on the pedals? Is it the same in big and small sprockets? Is it the same in both chainrings? You need some clues to narrow down the problem.

As above, happens in and out of the saddle, louder under power, happens in both chainrings and all sprockets.

Starts as a rough, constant, grindy noise and then as a ride goes on it gets louder and the clicking starts. The clicking is every pedal rotation.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    lesfirth wrote:

As above, happens in and out of the saddle, louder under power, happens in both chainrings and all sprockets.

Starts as a rough, constant, grindy noise and then as a ride goes on it gets louder and the clicking starts. The clicking is every pedal rotation.

:oops: I was a bit hasty there. I did not read the full thread. I think your problem is almost certainly your BB. bearings. Take them out and have a look .
  • Cheers, I think so too. I've a new Shimano press fit BB ordered so hopefully that will be the problem. Now to decide whether to fit it myself using my homemade bearing press!
  • DAZZ_A
    Two points before you strip it down.

Try spraying your cleats & pedals with a GT85 or similar, it solved one of my creaks previously.

Second, I use a homemade press, works a treat and I use some BB30 press fit cups to make sure it all goes in square.
  • Thanks, so do you have the proper press fit bushings for installation, like these?

mtbr-PF30+Adapters.JPG

I was just going to use 50mm M8 flat repair washers. Now thinking it might be a bit difficult to get them in straight using flat washers. :|

And install both cups at once, or one at a time? There seems to be conflicting advice on this.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd say try the home made press, but do one at a time, and keep an eye on it to make sure it's going in square.

I used a DIY press for the headset cups in my Scott, and one was going in slightly skewed but I didn't realise till it straightened itself up with an almighty crack! Thought I'd broken my brand new frame :shock:
  • Didn't even get as far as using the press. Neither cup will budge more than a mm. They're just stuck fast. I quit when the DS cup cracked. Mechanic called.
  • DAZZ_A
    Yeah I have proper cups like the one in your pic, bad news on the current bearings though.

What were you using to remove them?
  • A drift punch and a rubber hammer. Then a normal hammer. Worked my way around as you're meant to, but no luck. Stopped before I risked damaging the shell.
  • DAZZ_A
    May have been worth soaking the BB in WD40 to penetrate the seal of debris around the bearing and shell first