Stem and bars for a Colnago Master

bartman100
bartman100 Posts: 544
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Can anyone recommend bar and stems to fit/ complement a colnago master? I have a frame from circa 2007/2008 and am putting new gear on it (Campag Record 2015) so am not looking for 'classic' kit. Just wondering what might complement this kind of steel frame - I guess anything will work (size allowing: I *think* it has a 1-inch unthreaded steerer w/a Chris Kind headset).

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You can fit a regular inch-eighth stem with spacer-sleeve but lots of stems now are deliberately over-size to go with today's chunky frames. Might be worth looking on ebay for something suitable like ITM Millenium (11cm Colnago branded one on ebay for £35?) which is suitable skinny. Top choice would be WR Compositi but was expensive / hard to find. There are also chromed steel stems of that era that would look good with the polished lugs or even polished titanium
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bartman100
    bartman100 Posts: 544
    Monty Dog wrote:
    You can fit a regular inch-eighth stem with spacer-sleeve but lots of stems now are deliberately over-size to go with today's chunky frames. Might be worth looking on ebay for something suitable like ITM Millenium (11cm Colnago branded one on ebay for £35?) which is suitable skinny. Top choice would be WR Compositi but was expensive / hard to find. There are also chromed steel stems of that era that would look good with the polished lugs or even polished titanium
    Thanks, good tips.

Do you mean like this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Vintage-ste ... 2263472835

Similar one seen on here:
    http://bikecult.com/works//archive/03bi ... agoTZ.html
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    That's the fella, unfortunately the ebay one is for MTB bars as it's 25.4mm - road is 26.0mm - I had one and now regret selling it.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Ritchey Classic for that 'classic' look?

That's what I have on my Master:

46C18837-297C-490C-AA55-A3E9DDCDABFF.jpg
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack