Cutting steerer - how neat?

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited July 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
My sawing tendency is to never cut straight, no matter what guides etc I put in place.

Last time I cut a steerer, it was probably 1-2mm higher on one side than the other. But as there are spacers in place above the stem there wasn't an issue when it all went back together again.

I've got another fork arriving today. Is a 100% flat cut across the top absolutely essential, or is that sort of tolerance OK, particularly if there is a spacer going on top of the stem? Or should I just bite the bullet and get someone more competent (e.g. LBS) to make the cut for me?
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    You can get a cheap plastic mitre/jig from B&Q or homebase, will help you keep a straight blade.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    This kind of thing:

900049795_0_9999_v1_m56577569831305013.jpg
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I use a 28.6mm seatpost clamp and then an old headset spacer as sacrificial guide.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Clamp steerer in spare stem and spacer as sacrificial guide, clamp stem in workmate - use underside of stem if absolutely desperate
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    it's ok to file it flat afterwards, remove the sharp edges. doesn't matter if it's not completely straight as long as it's not interfering with the top cap
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Filing is worth doing, half moon file both inside and out to remove any sharp edges and a wipe down after to get rid of the burrs.

I have a post/bar/fork cutter but a collar and spacer are just as good just clamp it tight so it wont move when cutting.
  • larkim
    I think the main point is surely if its not interferring with the top cap, and the top spacer has something to sit around(if there is one - and I know that's not ideal, but I want to retain the option for lifting the stem later if I need to) then there are no issues with the stem clamping the steerer properly or the spacer sitting neatly on top of the stem.

All other suggestions very helpful - I've got a mitre box, but I think last time I did this my saw was too small to fit through it, or perhaps I didn't clamp well enough on the workbench. Whatever I do, I tend to wander towards my sawing arm (i.e. right) a little. Perhaps its the saw.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Plumbers pipe cutter does the job for me, perfectly straight every time.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Twelly wrote:

This 10 times over, not expensive and awesome.. then file it smooth
  • larkim
    Twelly wrote:

This 10 times over, not expensive and awesome.. then file it smooth
    Took this advice. £7 from B&Q, straight cut in less than five minutes, no hassle at all. Job done!