Best route: Reigate to Epsom?

the_hundredth_idiot
the_hundredth_idiot Posts: 813
edited July 2016 in Commuting chat
I'm about to start cycling to my firm's Epsom office from time to time.

I don't actually start from Reigate (I start a little south east from there). I've figured out a good route to around Nutfield, but I'm struggling to get any further than that. I could take the obvious route and go up Reigate Hill and along the A217, but I drive along that and it's a fast, busy road - I'd prefer something less unpleasant.

There don't seem to be any other ways across the M25, except for a few tracks which I'm guessing probably aren't suitable for road bikes.

Any tips from people who know the area better would be much appreciated.
Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Have you used the cycle option on google maps ? Looking at it theres only a couple of directish routes - failing that you will be going round the houses.

Google maps and streetview seem to work for me very well. Its only 10 miles or so so not too much to check out ?>
  • prowlbass
    prowlbass Posts: 159
    Depends how much of a detour you're willing to take for a quieter route/how much cycle path/bridleway you can handle.

Up Wray Lane (or Reigate Hill if you're happy with the traffic), then straight into the off road paths toward Walton on the Hill would probably be quietest... but would suit a CX bike or at least something that can handle some mud.

Alternatively - on to Blackhorse into Mugswell and then the cycle paths over the other side of the roundabout on the Brighton Road are (from memory... could be wrong) road bike suitable and will get you into Tadworth pretty quickly. Getting across the roundabout could be fun though.

Anything else would require significant detours - A25 to Box hill can be done with plenty of cycle paths and safe enough roads and going the other way and heading up through Gatton and Chipstead should be quiet enough.

I'm sure there are other options I've missed...
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    As above, if you need to stick to the road, personally I'd go via Dorking - then Box Hill/Little Switzerland & Headley (or via Leatherhead if you want a flatter ride). It's generally much more direct (and fun) to MTB it off road via the tracks across to Walton - there's plenty of variety you can build in too.

You could always try Pebble Hill too - must be huge amounts of fun during rush hour ;-)
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • Thanks - I think that's my problem - anything that gets me away from the major roads involves quite a bit of a detour.

Using google maps gives me what looks like a good route that turns off the A25 just before Buckland, up Lawrence Lane which then becomes Buckland Lane. That would probably work quite well except that I've trusted route planners before and found out that the planned route ends up being off road. From the map, it's not clear if Buckland Lane is a paved route or not - I suspect it could be more of a track, which wouldn't be any good for me. (My bike is steel-framed, mud-guarded, rack and panniers sort of bike - a light tourer/audax than a CS bike.)

Anyone know Buckland Lane and can say whether it's suitable for a road bike?
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067

It's a dirt (mud) track, CX or mtb only. There's some streetview on Google.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Dougal_bug
    Dougal_bug Posts: 36
    I have to do a similar directional route as this as have to do Redhill to Walton on Thames (I skirt round Epsom normally)

I would be inclined to miss the A217 as much as possible - I drive that road but would be disinclined to ride it during / around rush hour.

The route I take is down to Reigate, then A25 to Dorking, although it is fast running, unlike A217 it is a wide single lane road and personally I think you get a bit more respect as a result.

This then gives you choices, If you like a proper climb, at first roundabout after Reigate, turn right and go up Pebble hill and then turn left towards Headley and follow that route.

Alternatively, stay on A25, turn right at Pixham End - so just before the main Dorking roundabout with the Dorking Cock on it and then go up zig zag road. Safer than / less busy than using the A24 that runs between Leatherhead / Epsom (think it's called Turnpike that roundabout).

If you don't fancy much hill climbing, then at the roundabout of the A24/A25, go straight on into Leatherhead, at first lights turn right, at next set of lights turn right and then roundabout go straight on, and that takes you in to Epson via Wells Green and passed Epsom hospital.
  • Thanks. Very helpful. I'll probably go for the "Pebble Hill" option, but Christ it looks steep from the Strava profile - does it really peak at 18%? I've got a compact and 13-29 on the back, but I've also got a rack and fully-loaded pannier.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited July 2016
    If you're coming from Nutfield:
    Go through Merstham via Merstham Marsh Road,
    briefly onto the A25, left onto Gatton Bottom Lane and then past Fanny's Farm Shop on Markedge Lane under the M25.
    Then through Mugswell onto Chipstead Lane, cross over the A217 to Walton on the Hill.
    Over Epsom Downs to Epsom.
    Mostly back roads!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Thanks - I think that's my problem - anything that gets me away from the major roads involves quite a bit of a detour.

Using google maps gives me what looks like a good route that turns off the A25 just before Buckland, up Lawrence Lane which then becomes Buckland Lane. That would probably work quite well except that I've trusted route planners before and found out that the planned route ends up being off road. From the map, it's not clear if Buckland Lane is a paved route or not - I suspect it could be more of a track, which wouldn't be any good for me. (My bike is steel-framed, mud-guarded, rack and panniers sort of bike - a light tourer/audax than a CS bike.)

I grew up in Dorking and live in Merstham now and didn't know Buckland Lane! Looking at the satellite pics on google maps, it looks like it becomes a dirt track as you go past all the farms.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh wrote:
    If you're coming from Nutfield:
    Go through Merstham via Merstham Marsh Road,
    briefly onto the A25, left onto Gatton Bottom Lane and then past Fanny's Farm Shop on Markedge Lane under the M25.
    Then through Mugswell onto Chipstead Lane, cross over the A217 to Walton on the Hill.
    Over Epsom Downs to Epsom.
    Mostly back roads!

Cheers - nice and detailed. I'll plan this route a bit more carefully and probably use it - not sure I fancied Pebble Hill during rush hour, although I don't think there's any way over the North Downs that doesn't involve some pretty steep hills - when I go into London I go up Whitehill Lane (north side of M25, to the south east of Chaldon) and that's steep enough on the commuter.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Yes. Pebble Hill is steep.
    There are two lanes near the top where it maxes out though, so traffic can still pass you without much bother.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • prowlbass
    prowlbass Posts: 159
    Be careful on Markedge Lane - shouldn't be many cars, but locals do rather fly through. Worth having a back light running no matter the weather/visibility to help make sure you don't fall foul of any dozy drivers using it as a cut through.

Surrey drivers and winding, narrow roads with dappled lighting are always fun, but def less stressful than trying to bomb down the A217!