Dedacciai bikes question and also dealers

rockpaper
rockpaper Posts: 10
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I live in Australia

Dedacciai bikes question:

I am interested in Italian bikes at the moment and have thought about Dedacciai as an option outside of the usual suspects of Pinarello and Colnago.
I like to climbing (up to 30 km climbs) and long rides, from four hours up to 13 hour sportives.
I have found it hard to find reviews of Dedacciai bikes, except the Athena, on the K-19, Ran or Nerissimo that discuss long duration rides/climbing.

Does anyone have any experience with these bikes for the types of rides I mention?

Dedacciai dealers
Dedacciai dealers do not exist in Australia so I am looking for recommendations on US or UK dealers.
Does anyone have any recommendations on dealers, online or even email contact?
If I go down this path I will need to get bikes shipped in or just a frame and build it up.

Thanks in Advance,
Rockpaper

Comments

• I think the frames are sometimes re-badged and sold via Ribble cycles and probably plenty of others. maybe check out the exact frame and research who else uses them.
    start with uses the tubing?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Deda Carbon frames are made in Taiwan fwiw.
    They are very good but don't be under any illusion they're made in Italy.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • rockpaper
    Thanks, part time waster and NapoleonD, for your replies.

I saw Ribble re-badges the frames but I am shallow enough to want to have the name on the frame. :)

I assumed they would not be made in Italy, given the relatively inexpensive cost for the frames, but it is good to get confirmation from someone else. pretty much everything in the lower to middle price range is made in Taiwan, anyway, so I guess that's ok.

We mainly see the usual few brands in australia: pinarello, colnago, de rosa and i was looking for something that would not be "business as usual". :) and i think the Dedacciai frames look quite good, too...

thanks, again.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    rockpaper wrote:

I saw Ribble re-badges the frames but I am shallow enough to want to have the name on the frame. :)

You could just buy an unbranded frame from China and put some Dedacciai stickers on it, for the same effect...
  • rockpaper
    Imposter wrote:

You could just buy an unbranded frame from China and put some Dedacciai stickers on it, for the same effect...

Well, that's an option. :D
    But I have heard/read they are quit comfortable and I think bikeradar voted it a contender for bike of the year in 2013.

Cheers,
    rockpaper
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If you are thinking that Deda has some kind of 'secret recipe' for making comfortable frames then I would think again, because they don't. Comfort is subjective and the frame has very little to do with it anyway. Setup, tyre choice and tyre pressure will have far more impact on comfort than frame choice.
  • cantaloupe
    cantaloupe Posts: 34
    over the last 3 years I have been looking at bikes to buy, I've been through them all here in the UK.

The Dedacciai models are not built in Italy, they're most probably built in Asia and are probably designed there too.

Dedacciai will just choose a frame from a bulk catalogue.
  • rockpaper
    @Imposter
    Regarding comfort: I guess I was more talking about a particular model being comfortable rather than the brand, I.e. more favourable to endurance than racing. I understand the tyre choice, setup, and so on make a difference. Thanks, however, for the follow up as it is good to keep everything in mind.

@cantaloupe
    My understanding is that they are designed in Italy and made in Taiwan. I can live with that, however, if they are designed by someone else then not interested. Thanks for the comment, i will check this out further

Cheers,
    rockpaper
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    edited July 2016
    Deda is designed in italy I think. It is de rosa that use open mold frames a fair bit. Some of ribbles frames are de rosa frames or visa versa in reality they are somone elses altogether.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • rockpaper
    Deda is designed in italy I think. It is de rosa that use open mold frames a fair bit. Some of ribbles frames are de rosa frames or visa versa in reality they are somelses altogether.

thanks for that info. so, dedacciai still an option.
  • ianSWBB
    ianSWBB Posts: 25
    rockpaper

i work at a bike shop in the UK that offer Dedacciai as one of its brands

RAN is certainly going to be the best model suited to persistent climbing!
    Not only is it a lightweight frameset, but it has a very stiff BB, so the power is transferred from drivetrain to wheels very efficiently

It comes in a few standard colours (black, black/red, black/yellow) but also there is a custom colour option
    :)
    regards, Ian
  • rockpaper
    ianSWBB wrote:
    rockpaper

i work at a bike shop in the UK that offer Dedacciai as one of its brands

RAN is certainly going to be the best model suited to persistent climbing!
    Not only is it a lightweight frameset, but it has a very stiff BB, so the power is transferred from drivetrain to wheels very efficiently

It comes in a few standard colours (black, black/red, black/yellow) but also there is a custom colour option
    :)
    regards, Ian

thanks, Ian.
    RAN may be out of my price range as the AUS dollar is weak against the pound.
    I thought the RAN may nbe a bit racey and not suited to 200km rides and that teh nerissimo might be better.

does your shop send OS (Australia)?
  • ianSWBB
    rockpaper

so there are some RAN left over from 2016 stock, that are now in the sale - so maybe not as steep a price as you might think!

if you ignore all the marketting blurb and just go on ride performance and feel, there is little to choose between the RAN and the Nerissimo - they feel similar, but the geometries are almost identical, so you would expect that to a certain degree

the difference is in the carbon used - the RAN is made from a lighter stiffer carbon than the Nerissimo, and so therefore weighs about 200gms less
    In real terms, what this means is that it feels like it is accelerating quicker and feels like it is nimbler on the uphill sections
    The downside is that it doesn't feel quite as 'planted' and solid as the Nerissimo on the descents

On an amateur's 200km ride, I'm sure the advantages/disadvantages of both even themselves out!

We were impressed by both of them when we had them on test rides - infinitely better than for example a Giant or a Trek of the same price

Yes, we ship to Australia, no problems!

regards
    Ian
  • rockpaper
    thanks, Ian

being on the wrong side of 40 the "planted" feeling of the nerirssimo might be more my style.

thanks for the detailed info.

I will send you a PM.

cheers,
    adrian
  • ianSWBB
    Am too the wrong side of 40 :(
    Descending used to be fun when we were in our 20s and 30s! now just see all the dangers and potential crashes i could have, so planted works for me too!
    although do need my bike to be getting lighter year on year, in order to offset me getting heavier and heavier year on year ;)