Talk to me about carbon railed saddles...

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
So I've finally found a saddle that provides me with the comfort I've been looking for over longer rides (Selle Italia Novus Flow), so am now looking to buy another one for a second bike. The current saddle has Ti rails, but I've also found a version with carbon rails. But, what's the point of having carbon rails other than saving weight? Would the carbon rails be likely to offer more compliance over the Ti-railed version, or visa versa?
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Weight. Compliance will come from the body of the saddle, not the rails.
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    A proper carbon base on a saddle is more important to me as it doesn't sag over time and keeps it's shape better. I certainly find this with my Fizik Ariones.

The rail may absorb a teeny bit more vibratrion as well as saving a few grams but for most people I doubt this is worth the extra cash. I can't say I've noticed any extra rail flexing to give comfort (Arione/Flite/SLR) - if anything the opposite is true IME. One other small advantage is on ti or steel railed saddles they sometimes make a bit of creaking noise where the rail goes into the saddle itself. I've never had this on a carbon railed saddle as they usually seem to be bonded in with some kind of black spongey stuff which must add some damping or stop the movement. Whether that is worth an extra £50 or whatever is another matter!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    I have a few carbon Ariones, and very nice and light they are too, one is 140g iirc.

Do bare in mind that on most, if not all the carbon railed saddles, the rail profile is not round, and is oval, something like 9x7mm.

On my ritchey seatpost I had to buy a replacement clamp for £10, but on an fsa seatpost it fitted fine though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Thanks the responses. Extra compliance over weight would be key for me so may just another Ti-railed version for the winter bike. Good point re: the oval rails on carbon saddles not being universally compatible with seatpost clamps. Cheers
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    A number of clubmates have had issues with the carbon seat rails. The ovalisation on a romin saddle for example means if you are a “more generous” build, you might expect a shorter lifespan. I’ve 2 romin saddles which I’ve replaced with power saddles and they really are good but I’m not that heavy…