stem length

cremator
cremator Posts: 99
edited July 2016 in Road beginners
hi all I have a canondale cadd 8. 61 frame the stem length is 110mm just of late I have had alot of shoulder neck pain would a shorter stem help I do seem to be over stretching a bit when on the hoods to reach the brakes and that is where I spend most of my time when riding any help please thank you

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    So try a 100mm or even 90mm - loads on ebay.
  • cremator
    Ok I no loads on there been looking but I want one that is flats one side and when U flip it the other side as a lift on it but not sure how to pick one
  • imposter2.0
    A plain old 6deg stem will do that. They're everywhere.
  • cremator
    Ok 31.8mm or 25.4mm I am not sure
  • imposter2.0
    Probably 31.8 - assuming your Caad8 has oversize bars. The best person to confirm that would be you.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    cremator wrote:
    Ok I no loads on there been looking but I want one that is flats one side and when U flip it the other side as a lift on it but not sure how to pick one

3T ARX Pro +/- 17'. It will be pan flat one way and a good rise the other.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Don't make massive adjustments. You might only need 10mm less and you'll be surprised that it will feel quite different (and stick to 6/7/8 deg). This might well be enough particularly as you've said aching is 'just of late'.

Big changes don't sound right from what you've worded.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Your problems may be nothing to do with the stem e.g. if your saddle is a bit too far forward, your CofG is moved forward with more weight on your arms.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava