New wheels - fit myself?

njmartyn08
njmartyn08 Posts: 15
edited July 2016 in Workshop
hi guys first post on here - started cycling recently and just ordered a new set of wheels (Mavic's). Originally ordered via Evans so I could get them to fit them but order delayed a month so gone through Tredz who have them in stock.
Question is - is it relatively easy to swap them over? they're disc brake, so do I just need to swap the cassette, put the wheels on and off I go or is it more complicated than that?
need to know now so I can book it in to be sorted when they arrive so I can get riding asap! :)
cheers in advance.

Comments

• Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Pretty much it - although you may need to recentre your brake callipers as seen here https://youtu.be/V3uCGRAWG2M
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have no experience of disk brakes (on bikes anyway) but won't you need to transfer the brake discs too?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Actually, that sounds a bit of a faff. Presumably if you buy a new disc wheelset you'd buy new brake discs at the same time, no? Then you could swap between wheels more easily??
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    In theory Keef - but there is always the chance that the disc axis is displaced by fractions of a mm (compared between the different wheels) which would lead to brake rub.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Easy to do yourself as long as you have the tools

You''ll need to swap the rotors. The tool for that will depend on which fitting type they are - Shimano centrelock or 6 bolt. The new wheels will need to match the fitting type to transfer the rotor over. a 25t torx spanner is needed for the 6 bolt rotor.

Also the new wheels must have the same axle type as your old wheels - 9mm quick release or thru axle

Then swap the cassette. Tools needed are chain whip and a Shimano lock ring spanner (this doubles up as a spanner for the centrelock rotor screw) (or a Campagnolo lock ring spanner if running a Campagnolo cassette)

The freehub splines on the new wheels also need the match the old wheels (Shimano or Campagnolo cassette)
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    You should definately have/learn the skill to change a cassette, tyre and disc rotor anyway - for routine maintenance. If you can do those three things then swapping the wheels will be a piece of the proverbial. You would pay a bike shop a fair chunk of money to do something really straightforward, so save your money.
  • njmartyn08
    njmartyn08 Posts: 15
    thanks guys, sorry I didn't realize I had replies - have been patiently watching my email hoping for a reply! :)
    I think its all compatible, ordered the 6 bolt wheel version, 10speed shimano cassette so will give it a go. Am not planning on using the old wheels anymore so will just swap it all over and see where I get to (and probably end up dropping it all into the LBS but we shall see!)