Trek Domane 4.5 (2015) or Cannondale Caad12 (2015)?

big.me
big.me Posts: 18
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I've managed to get myself in 2 good deals. Which if the 2 bikes above? The dale is 52cm and the trek 54cm.
Neither of them have disc brakes and I'm mainly looking to go for relatively long(er) rides on them, maybe 50mi+ or so. I've had a 55cm cross bike (felt f65x '13) and it seems a tad large. It actually measures 56cm, I'm 5'11 but I have a relatively stiff lower back and anything longer than 2h in the saddle of the felt and my lower back starts to ache...
I do understand the caad12 is a more racier geometry and the domane a more relaxed 'endurance' fit.
Is any bike a clear winner over the other?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• I do not have any experience of the Trek but can wholeheartedly endorse the CAAD12. Have had mine for 6 weeks and it is a fantastic bike. Is my 2nd Road Bike after upgrading from a Giant Defy 1 which I am keeping as my wet/winter bike. Got a good deal on the Ultegra version and also got myself correctly fitted to both bikes - I have been fitted to a 52 CAAD12 (racier geometry) and the Defy is a Medium (sportive/endurance geometry) - point I am making is that you don't need to be put off by a bike seemingly having a more aggressive geometry as you may well be able to be fitted to it - I had a slightly longer stem put on my CAAD to get the fit right. Ultimately it will come down to how the 2 types of bike feel to you but I would definitely recommend being professionally fitted to whichever bike you prefer.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    I picked a Domane specifically because of lower back problems - this was the only bike that totally eliminated the problem - stack and reach play a part, but i definitely think the ISO speed decoupler plays a massive part. You really need to try one to see what I mean.
    It is the most comfortable bike I've ever owned, with no real sacrifice in overall speed - perfect for the longer rides you mentioned you want to do.

The CAAD is a much more aggressive bike - a completely different beast to the Domane - if you have a dodgy back and want to do longer rides, I'm not sure you should be comparing a Domane to a CAAD - if you want other options look at something like the Cannonade Synapse - I still think the Domane wins out though...personal opinion of course!

As mentioned, fit is everything - I'm 5'11" and a 56 Domane is absolutely perfect, but you should make double sure you are getting the right size. Im not sure where you're based, but when I was buying, Cycles UK sized me up and let me take a Domane on a 20 minute test which sold it instantly for me!

Best of luck with whatever you go for.
  • big.me
    Hi, thanks for replying so quickly.
    @Knightlore - I hope you don't mind me asking how tall you are and if you know, your inseam as well?
    @bsharp77 - Yes, well the only problem I have with my lower back is just general stiffness - though It could be because my cross bike is slightly too large (even though i did shorten the stem already). I definitely agree I really shouldn't be comparing an endurance bike to a more racier style bike. Though at the same time, I am wondering if I will have too much of an overlap between my cross bike and the domane.. :/ What are your thoughts on that?
  • big.me wrote:
    @Knightlore - I hope you don't mind me asking how tall you are and if you know, your inseam as well?
    @bsharp77 - Yes, well the only problem I have with my lower back is just general stiffness - though It could be because my cross bike is slightly too large (even though i did shorten the stem already). I definitely agree I really shouldn't be comparing an endurance bike to a more racier style bike. Though at the same time, I am wondering if I will have too much of an overlap between my cross bike and the domane.. :/ What are your thoughts on that?

I am 5ft 7 and have 29 inch inside leg.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    There are some good deals on the Synapse out there at the mo. Direct competitor to the Domane.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    big.me wrote:

Its possible that the Domane could be adapted with bigger tyres to be used on rougher stuff, but to be honest I have no experience or interest on riding on anything that isn't tarmac, so can't help a lot in that respect!

I've had some very nice top end bikes and I'm every bit as fast on the Domane - it really offers the best of both worlds from a comfort/performance point of view. Its been used on many spring classics by the pros, so it'll not be the Domane that slows you down....its up to the engine! :lol:
    If you wanted to improve the bike spec, there should be good deals to be had on the 5.2 which would be lighter and better kitted out spec wise than the 4.5 - I had a 5.2 for a couple of years and loved it.
    I've since moved up to a 6 series frameset which I built up to my liking - its by far the best bike I've ever owned.
    This is a good time of the year to be looking out for bargains as the 2017 lineup has just been announced.
  • big.me
    @knightlore - thanks.
    @danielb - Yeah, I've been seeing quite a few good deals out floating around the interwebs, definitely keeping my eye out for both the domane and synapse.
    @bsharp77 - I have every confidence that the engine will be the limiting factor for speed and distance for many years to come haha. Bit of gravel and/or trail is always welcome in my books to freshen things up a little. If anything, I should be looking at a disc version of either domane/synapse. I'll do a bit of looking around to see if the 5.2 is really due ot the frame being lighter (in my memory they use the same frame?) or just compenent upgrades :D
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    big.me wrote:
    Hi,
    I've managed to get myself in 2 good deals. Which if the 2 bikes above? The dale is 52cm and the trek 54cm.
    Neither of them have disc brakes and I'm mainly looking to go for relatively long(er) rides on them, maybe 50mi+ or so. I've had a 55cm cross bike (felt f65x '13) and it seems a tad large. It actually measures 56cm, I'm 5'11 but I have a relatively stiff lower back and anything longer than 2h in the saddle of the felt and my lower back starts to ache...
    I do understand the caad12 is a more racier geometry and the domane a more relaxed 'endurance' fit.
    Is any bike a clear winner over the other?
    Thanks in advance

Think the 52 'Dale is going to be on the small side for you. I'm the same height as you with 32" inseam. My bikes (apart from a mistaken rushed purchase) have all been 56 notional frameset with a TT of around 560mm +/- 5mm or so. I run these with a slightly shorter than normal stem (90mm). On that basis I could probably get away with a 54 but a 52 would be far too small.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    I am in agreement with Arlowood. If you are truly 5-11 with normal body proportions then your nominal saddle height (guessing at circa 75-77cm above bottom bracket) will lead to a significant drop height on a 52 CAAD unless there are significant spacers under the stem. The CAAD 10 as a 52 is significantly more aggressive than the Domane as a 54. You really need to see both bikes and possibly see how your current set up can be replicated on both bikes. A significant drop height from saddle to bar height could cause issues for your lower back. Out of interest what is your current saddle height as measured from the middle of the bottom bracket to saddle top and the saddle tip to centre of bar measurement?
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Got to chirp in here and say much like others think these two bikes are chalk and cheese. Think again based on your riding, age, shape and form as so far apart in how they ride in my opinion. Yes, reach will be fitted the same in the end, but huge variables in getting there to start with.
  • big.me
    Thanks all, I think I know where I'm going, to the hills with the domane!
    :D
  • mcxfisher
    mcxfisher Posts: 39
    If you wish to ride a long way (i.e. 40+) quickly and in comfort then the Domane is the far better choice of the two. In any event a 52 frame CAAD will be too short for you at 5'11".

The direct endurance competitors to the Domane are the Synapse Carbon 105 and the similarly equipped Specialized Roubaix SL4 with 105 running gear. After exhaustive testing and elimination I settled on the Synapse, but all 3 are extremely good bikes. You must try before you buy because the actual fit differs between them.