Cant get in to lowest gear

SCBronsonCC
SCBronsonCC Posts: 42
edited July 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi.

I am having trouble getting to the lowest gear (biggest cog) on the rear derailleur, I am running a 1 x 10 XT set up and it goes through the other gears fine but even in the highest position on the shifter it just stays in gear 9.

I've tried altering the screws to varying degrees but there is no improvement, I also un-screwed the barrel adjuster on the shifter a few turns to see if there was any difference and again this didn't help.

Could any one recommend anything else?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited July 2016
    Read Parktools and index the mech properly. Random fiddling doesn't normally help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Agree with this ^^^^

After years of thinking you just fiddled, I now appreciate using a methodical approach if a small barrel adjustment doesn't work.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    larkim wrote:
    Agree with this ^^^^

After years of thinking you just fiddled, I now appreciate using a methodical approach if a small barrel adjustment doesn't work.

Same here, indexed my gears for first time following Parktools and have been fine for over 6 months now
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Sounds like you altered the low limit screw so the mech isn't going to move over to the largest cog if all the other gears work from 10 upwards.

Or you may just need to back off the cable tension a turn on the shifter if the chain is making noise but doesn't shift up.

Hope you didn't fiddle with the b screw too much either 42t cassette?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    swod1 wrote:
    Sounds like you altered the low limit screw so the mech isn't going to move over to the largest cog if all the other gears work from 10 upwards.

Or you may just need to back off the cable tension a turn on the shifter if the chain is making noise but doesn't shift up.

Hope you didn't fiddle with the b screw too much either 42t cassette?
    Or
    cooldad wrote:
    Read Parktools and index the mech properly. Random fiddling doesn't normally help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Random fiddling seldom helps
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... adjustment

I'm confused, you say in the title you can't get into the lowest gear (biggest cog) and then in the title talk about not getting from 9th to tenth (smallest cog), unless you have a rare (low normal) rear mech you need to increase cable tension to get into the biggest cog (unscrew barrel) not screw it in - sounds like you've made a right horlix of it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    The Rookie wrote:
    Random fiddling seldom helps
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... adjustment

I'm confused, you say in the title you can't get into the lowest gear (biggest cog) and then in the title talk about not getting from 9th to tenth (smallest cog), unless you have a rare (low normal) rear mech you need to increase cable tension to get into the biggest cog (unscrew barrel) not screw it in - sounds like you've made a right horlix of it!

He did write "un-screwed"
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sorry yes, mixed up my text - unscrew won't get you from ninth to tenth.....but may get you from second to first (lowest)!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.