Shimano RS 21 rims and which 25mm tire to get

bikegigolo
bikegigolo Posts: 5
edited August 2016 in The workshop
Will a 25mm tire fit on a Shimano RS 21 rim? With all the rave about wider tires being in vogue, I thought that I'd try it. I had a new Panaracer Stradius Pro 23mm lying around for my front tire but I need to buy a tire for the rear. I had a tough time getting the Panaracer on but was able to do it and get 100psi. I could not find any info on tire size for this particular rim. Also, which tire under $20 should I get? I'm a bang-for-your-buck kind of guy(cheapskate). Your help is greatly appreciated.
Daniel

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A 25mm will be fine!

This is a Uk based forum, so no idea what you can get for 20 of whichever $ you are using (but if its Zimbabwean the answer is nothing).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the info. For $, I was talking American dollars. Sorry for the ignorance but I'm not used to posting on foreign forums. My bad.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've been running 25mm tyres on my RS10 wheels for 9 years now. Initially Conti GP4 seasons, and because they have become stupidly expensive, more recently Michelin Pro4 SC, which actually measure 27mm.

For good but budget tyres I see Vittoria Rubino Pro mentioned on here quite frequently.

(I tried some very cheap wire beaded vanilla Rubinos once but found them a bit slippy in the wet and puncture prone)

What do you mean by foreign??
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Vittoria Randonneur are a decent commute tyre, a decent balance between toughness and speed.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Got the exact same wheels and shod them with Vitty Pro 25c, roll really well and fairly light as well. Not the most puncture protection but enough to stop most debris.