Canyon 160mm or 140mm difference to pedal?

jon1993
jon1993 Posts: 596
edited July 2016 in MTB general
So I have done all the usual research but want to hear it from real riders who don't have a marketing ulterior motive. So the bikes I'm looking at are the canyon strive and the canyon spectral. Realistically how much difference are they both to pedal as I do all the big mountain riding but still want something that can do the flats and uphills without it feeling like I'm trying to pedal my dh bike around.

Cheers

Jonathon
Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
Giant Faith 2 DH bike
Boardman pro 2011
Boardman team carbon 2010
Carrera kracken 2009
Specialized fsr pro 2009
Haro custom build
Cannondale custom build

Comments

• kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Won't feel different, both pedal well.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • Yakboy
    Yakboy Posts: 55
    I've got a Strive and you get the best of both worlds. In XC mode will storm uphills and in downhill mode just let it fly!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Lots of Strive frames have failed though. Loads have had to be replaced because the shapeshifter breaks. There was a big thing about it on Pinkbike, some people were on their third frame in under a year.
    Most modern 160mm bikes pedal very well. Thr biggest difference is that all that suspension takes the fun out of the majority of trails by absorbing everything.
  • .:rico
    .:rico Posts: 6
    I've a 2015 Spectral AL 8.0 EX and it's a fantastic bike. I did look at the Strive as I liked the idea of the shapeshifter, but was probably swayed by the reviews saying it's "new tech" that "could add complication" and "was something else that could go wrong."

I've not been disappointed with the Spectral however, more bike than my current skills can handle, but I'm more confident every ride. It was sublime at Glentress last month, great on the climbs and took the downhill sections in it's stride. My fitness let me down more!

Only downside so far? The Pike's are back with Canyon (en route to SRAM UK) as they are making a horrific knocking noise. I've tried the burping method, but it only fixes the issue for 1 ride and then it's back.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The shapeshifter has had a dreadful reliability record so far, lots of failures, lots of changes and lots of multiple failures (some are reportedly on their 4th).

That said the revisions for the 2016 bike seem to have made some fairly significant improvements.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yakboy
    The Rookie wrote:
    The shapeshifter has had a dreadful reliability record so far, lots of failures, lots of changes and lots of multiple failures (some are reportedly on their 4th).

That said the revisions for the 2016 bike seem to have made some fairly significant improvements.

Mines a 2016 8.0CF , 3 months in and so far so good. I do follow the thread on Pinkbike and was watching carefully to see how the 2016 shapeshifter revisions seem to have worked and so far they seem to be OK
  • The Rookie
    Indeed, only one reported 2016 that I can find* and that one had barely gone 200m suggesting a specific (probably manufacturing related) fault rather than a fundamental design fault as seemed to inflict the previous years.

*No comment on how many 2016 bikes they have actually managed to ship!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yakboy
    The Rookie wrote:
    *No comment on how many 2016 bikes they have actually managed to ship!

I think they have caught up with themselves now, mine only took 13 days from order to being in my sweaty palms!
  • The Rookie
    Sounds encouraging, it was a shame to see a genuine alternative to the status quo for bike buying have such significant issues, I may not have one (nor be considering one right now), but would never wish ill on any company producing genuinely good value bikes.
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    Thank you you have certainly given me something to think about.

I guess it comes down to if they where both exactly the same money which would you buy?

Thanks again
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • rockmonkeysc
    I wouldn't buy either. I'd have a Rose Granite Chief for the same money instead. Much better ride in my opinion and they have UK support.
  • Yakboy
    I wouldn't buy either. I'd have a Rose Granite Chief for the same money instead. Much better ride in my opinion and they have UK support.
    Have you ridden both ? And set them up properly to your specs??
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    RM has ridden every bike known to mankind. And then some.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yakboy
    cooldad wrote:
    RM has ridden every bike known to mankind. And then some.

I'll bow to his knowledge then....but I still love the dual characteristics of my strive.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Yakboy wrote:
    Have you ridden both ? And set them up properly to your specs??

I've ridden a strive set up close enough my mate who has one is about the same size as me. It was the rear end flex I didn't like. The Rose just felt solid.
    Neither was as good as a Stumpjumper, Trance or Scout though.
    I know you're not allowed to criticise German bikes on here though. Some people get really upset about it. Say what you want about any other brand.
  • Yakboy
    I have no problem with criticism of any bikes, just want it to be informed, and you have qualified that :D
  • pgodwin555
    pgodwin555 Posts: 66
    I can 2nd Rico on the spectral, I own same bike EX8 2015 150mm front / 140mm rear and its been an amazing bike for UK riding. Handles everything I throw at it, quick on the downhills slack enough to be forgiving and great climber. The DBinline did take a lot of fiddling to get the setup and feel I like. Use it weekly at Surrey hills around Peaslake, Leith and done few weekend trips to Bike Park Wales. Done just over 1,500 km since March 2015 and not had one failure, frame all holding up strong. The shapeshifter put me off the Strive and the extra weight. Can't comment on the Rose as not tried one but tried Bird (didn't get on with it) and tried ALu Capra but still prefer the Canyon, the Capra HA is too slack but if you were blind folded it be difficult to tell them apart when riding and that has 170mm front and 165mm rear I believe.