FS buying advice for around £1200

mrbubbaman
mrbubbaman Posts: 171
edited July 2016 in MTB buying advice
I've been looking around for a couple of weeks at new bikes and I'm getting myself lost!
I want to spend a maximum of £1200 on a full suspension bike. I've been looking at a Canyon Nerve AL6 and the Boardman Team FS pro, however the Boardman doesn't do a small enough frame (16")

I started to then look at reviews of bikes in that bracket and I'm now confused about what to buy!
Giant, Kona, Merida, Trek and Scott, they've all cropped up!

Any advice on what full suspension to get for that budget? Don't want to jump in and buy the wrong bike.

I mainly ride over at Swinley woods and I'm a novice. My mate has a Bossnut, so don't really want to buy the same bike and when I looked before, that didn't do my size anyway

I'm 5'4 with a 29" inside leg and weigh 59kgs (also an old fart at almost 40)

Comments

• mrbubbaman
    This is another choice and as it's end of line, there a nice discount http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/e ... -650b-2014
  • Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    I got a Nerve last summer (also in a small frame) and love it, I mainly do XC type stuff but it handles everything I've thrown at it no problem. The frame is solid and I've had no issues with it, that combined with the good range of components on the bike (usually better spec than similar price competitors) and it's a no brainer! Personally I think the Nerve is about as good as you are going to get for a full susser at this price point, my only regret with my Nerve is that I didn't pay the extra and get the Strive as I feel it would have been the better choice of bike for the direction I want to take my riding.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • mrbubbaman
    POAH wrote:
    bird aeris?

They look nice, but the cheapest I can see is £1695.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Son has a Nerve AL 6.0 and really gets on well with it. No issues at all, and delivery (it was in stock at the time) was swift.

The only "niche" part on the bike is the mech hanger which is specific to the Nerve AL 6.0 (i.e. not other Nerve AL models) so I'd recommend getting a spare hanger (or two) if you buy it "just in case". (He's on his third already, careless lad!)
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • wmorgs
    wmorgs Posts: 113
    The halfords Pro came down to £1200 couple months ago, cant think any bike that price n spec just add dropper done:
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... nsion-27-5
  • mrbubbaman
    wmorgs wrote:
    The halfords Pro came down to £1200 couple months ago, cant think any bike that price n spec just add dropper done:
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... nsion-27-5
    Sadly it's the wrong size. Boardman website doesn't list a small, only medium and large. Halfords just says out of stock
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    For what it's worth I've had confirmation from Boardman that they will shortly be introducing an XL frame for the Pro FS too. Hence makes me wonder if they're done with the small frame?
  • Bishbosh10
    Bishbosh10 Posts: 268
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.