Setting up rear v brake on full susser

reformedfatty
reformedfatty Posts: 543
edited July 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Potentially a dumb question, but this is my first v braked full suss.

Picked up a ~97 marin rift zone frame and fork at a bike jumble and set to my parts bin to see what I could turn it into. It's nearly up and running pending me finding a crankset with some life in it, but as soon as I load the rear suspension there is more slack in the brake cable and pulling the lever becomes ineffective.

What's the correct way to set this up? Set it up under load?

Looking forward to discovering what the early dt Swiss air shock and first generation bombers can do

Cheers

Comments

• Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    If the cable is routed properly with the outer sized properly so it doesnt catch anywhere when the suspension is compressed it shouldnt make a difference where the back wheel is, the brake should work all the time.

Pictures of your cable routing might help.
  • I had that realisation soon after posting it - after all I have never had any problems with gear cables!

Looking at pictures of other examples the cable is routed almost the same, but with my sensible hat on I think it is probably just due to me not having replaced the brake cables + outers yet, and the ones I have on there are seriously vintage and oxidised, having been originally fitted to my ~2004 gt avalanche.
  • Might as well update this. New cables + outers, no more problems. Last time I set up v-brakes from scratch was when I was brand new to bike maintenance, pleased to see a much better result this time.