Jockey wheels nearly touch?

straas
straas Posts: 338
edited July 2016 in Workshop
If I go into the lower chainring on the front and the highest (smallest) cog on the rear, the chain rubs on itself due to the jockey wheels sitting nearly in line horizontally. This is with Shimano 105 11.

Surely there's something not quite right there?
FCN: 6

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    IT sounds like your chain is not long enough.
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    I think the opposite, if you are in small, small, the derailleur will be pulling the excess chain back. If you are getting rub, firstly most will say cross chaining is bad practice, second the chain may be too long, and thirdly it might be a simple B screw adjustment.

Google chain length and B screw there is plenty out there that will save me typing.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Chain too long, or total chain wrap too large (in other words although your mech can handle your largest cog, it can't handle the total difference between longest chain path (big-big) and shortest (small-small). If it's the latter - in other words if shortening the chain means you can't run big-big - then you have to choose between cross chaining on the large ring, cross -chaining on the small, or changing cassette, big ring, or both.
  • webboo
    Shirley if the chain was too long the jockey wheels would be vertical rather than horizontal.
  • straas
    Sandyballs wrote:
    I think the opposite, if you are in small, small, the derailleur will be pulling the excess chain back. If you are getting rub, firstly most will say cross chaining is bad practice, second the chain may be too long, and thirdly it might be a simple B screw adjustment.

Google chain length and B screw there is plenty out there that will save me typing.

Cheers I'll have a google.

I've attached a photo of the jockey wheels when I'm in the smallest gear up front and the 3rd cog from smallest at the rear. (please excuse the filthy rear derailleur, it was a really wet ride home yesterday) I don't normally cross chain, but I probably would be in the combo pictured fairly regular which is a bit of a worry, although the gap probably increases under load?

Whats_App_Image_20160702.jpg
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    Webboo wrote:
    Shirley if the chain was too long the jockey wheels would be vertical rather than horizontal.

Chain looks to be a bit long, and don't call me Shirley :D

If you have a split link already remove and then wrap chain around big, big without going through the derailleur pull tight then add 2 links is the common method.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    straas wrote:
    Sandyballs wrote:

Cheers I'll have a google.

I've attached a photo of the jockey wheels when I'm in the smallest gear up front and the 3rd cog from smallest at the rear. (please excuse the filthy rear derailleur, it was a really wet ride home yesterday) I don't normally cross chain, but I probably would be in the combo pictured fairly regular which is a bit of a worry, although the gap probably increases under load?

Whats_App_Image_20160702.jpg

CHain is too long. While you're shortening it, clean it and the rear derailleur!
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Webboo wrote:

You have that completely the wrong way round. Think about it..
  • straas
    Suppose I best find a chain splitter then! I got the bike 2nd hand so unsure if the chain is new or a replacement, I'll have to assume replacement as it'd be unlikely to have been built with the wrong sized chain?

Checked the chain and it measures spot on 12 inches for 12 1/2 links, the chains done over 2000 km with me and who knows before that, shouldn't it be showing some wear by now?
  • webboo
    Imposter wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

Why is everyone agreeing with me now they've see the photo, those jockey wheels look horizontal to me.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I can not believe that this is still going on.If you say that the chain is not long enough you are either thick beyond belief or just trying to wind up the likes of me with some success.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Webboo wrote:

... and don't call me Shirley

(someone had to say it)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Webboo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

Why is everyone agreeing with me now they've see the photo, those jockey wheels look horizontal to me.

They are indeed horizontal. Which means the chain is too long - not too short. Sorry for confusing you earlier.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    mrfpb wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

... and don't call me Shirley

(someone had to say it)

Yes - and that someone was Sandyballs on Saturday!
    Faster than a tent.......