Centrelock rotors with Avid calipers

muzzan
muzzan Posts: 203
edited July 2016 in The workshop
Hi all,

So I've recently purchased a new set of kinesis crosslight cx disc wheels for my cx bike. Only thing is that they take centrelock disc rotors, wheras I had 6-bolt ones. So I got a pair of centrelock rotors & fitted them and the wheels today. The problem is that the front rotor is interfering with the avid bb5 caliper. The plastic centrelock arms(if thats what they are called) are hitting the caliper. So I'm wondering if I just have to put more spacers on the caliper mounts to move it away from the fork, which will then clear the rotor arms, but will this affect braking performance?

The other thing to say is that the rear rotor doesn't have this problem because I have a TRP Spyre caliper which is narrower and the rotor arms just clear the caliper. I hear you say that why don't I get another TRP caliper for the front...well the fact is that I'm unconvinced by the braking performance of the TRP so far, the rear brake on ts own is barely capable of stopping the bike.
Thanks for any insight!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The problem with spacing out the caliper is that the pads will now only be partially engaging the rotor. A mm or two is usually ok though and is often within the margins of the design.

There are a few designs of centrelock. Some use a much smaller spider, such as this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod28025
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I ran BB5s with Centrelock rotors with no issues on M785 hubs
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Maybe as simple as moving the calliper sideways a small amount and readjusting the pads.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    The rear Spyre is either misadjusted or needs new pads - either one of my Spyres (front or back) is enough to stop me (90+kg + bike weight) on a 12% descent...