650c Tyres - Which should I get? Are there any more options?

Natson
Natson Posts: 10
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
So i've recently bought my first road bike and already i'm in love with cycling, :D very happy.

My bike is the Specialized Allez Junior that has 650x23c wheels. I don't know if it will take anything higher than 650x23c tyres, all I know is it was "built around" the 650x23c size. I would have gone for a 700c as they warned me tyre options in this size is severly limited but my height just wouldn't permit it and i'm not getting any taller.

I've heard good things about the tyres it comes with but apparently the downside to them is that they wear rather badly and fast so i've been looking around for a set of tyres to replace them with.

So far i've found the following 650x23c tyres and I was hoping someone with more knowledge than me could help me choose which would be best for what I want to do. If anyone knows of any other brands please let me know.

Continental Grand Prix 4000S II
Continental Grand Prix
Continental Gatorskin
Vittoria Rubino Pro G+
Vittoria Rubino Pro
Kenda Koncept K191
Kenda Kriterium endurance K1018
MICHELIN Pro4 Service Course
Bontrager R3 Hard-Case Lite

What I'm looking to get out of the tyre: (No budget, so long as the tyre isn't silly prices then it's good.)

Durability. Long life, potentially be robust enough to take on rougher roads and gravel/dirt. (Won't be riding over too harsh of surfaces though.)

Decent Puncture Protection. Don't want to have to deal with punctures all the time, want to be able to ride without fear that i'll be really "in the zone" so to speak and have it shattered with a puncture.

Good Grip. Would really like something that has good grip in wet and dry conditions, while I won't exactly go out with the intention to ride hills in wet weather I don't want to be caught out and start slipping while going up or slipping while cornering. Confidence inspiring is what i'm after. A "okay" grip on previously mentioned dirt and gravel would also be a huge plus, not looking for mountain bike levels of course, just enough to keep me upright. (Will be avoiding these paths in wet conditions.)

I might as well say "Holy grail of tyres".

What I'm planning on doing with the bike:

Short daily rides, 10 miles at most. (I'm the most beginner to ever beginner?)
Will be using mostly roads and cycle paths, hopefully well used country/nature park dirt/fine gravel roads (not sure how to grade the gravel) if tyres will permit. (Only short distances over the latter.)

The cycle lanes in the local country side are poorly maintained but seem okay and the cycle lanes in the town will most likely have some occasional obstruction on them, like glass. There is a cycle route where it mentions a (small) section is unsuitable for road bikes and I assume it's because the path is either dirt or gravel, i've yet to check it out properly.

p.s. Will any 650x23c inner tube work with any 650x23c tyre?

-
Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out a little :)

Comments

• Natson
    oxoman wrote:
    My son's bike runs kenda koncepts with no problems in the same size, grip isn't to bad. Gaterskins are very puncture resistant but grip in the wet Isn't the best.

Thanks for replying, how's the durability and puncture resistance on the tyres? I read some say in reviews that the koncepts wear down easily? Would you say that the grip is decent in wet weather also?
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    I know your title says 23's but there's the Durano if your bike has the clearance to take 28's;
    http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/road-reader/durano-dd.html
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    GP 4000s.

/thread.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • GP 4000s.

/thread.

This. Best out of that lot, even if they are £30 a pop at Wiggle. Your existing tubes will be fine.

EDIT: Your wheels are 650c, right (23-571 tyre size) and not 650b (23-584), right?
    Carrera Subway 2015
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2014
  • Natson
    I know your title says 23's but there's the Durano if your bike has the clearance to take 28's;
    http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/road-reader/durano-dd.html

I actually have no idea whether my bike has the clearance for that. I never thought to ask in the shop because the most important questions come to me after i've had my chance.

The sizes I see on the Duranos are "28-584 (650B)" and "28-559 (26 x 1.10)". From what I read, unless I didn't understand, those sizes aren't really interchangeable with 650c/23-571 are they?
    GP 4000s.

/thread.

This. Best out of that lot, even if they are £30 a pop at Wiggle. Your existing tubes will be fine.

EDIT: Your wheels are 650c, right (23-571 tyre size) and not 650b (23-584), right?

On the specialized page, it says the wheels are a "AXIS Classic 650" and the bike came with 650x23c/23-571 tyres.
    From me just looking at the wheels on the actual bike it says "AXIS Classic ETRTO 571-16"

Edit: Pictures of clearance, just incase anyone can confirm or not just by looking what 650x??c wheels I can fit. Because I don't know. I'm going to quote myself:
    Natson wrote:
    (I'm the most beginner to ever beginner?)

Front and back respectively: (Seat/Chain stays generally bit larger)
    0TktxCdl.png
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    My mistake on the 650b, looks like you could go bigger than 23's if there are other options available.

You could check some German Sites like Bike-Discount, StarBike, Bike24, Mantel etc to see if they have any other options which aren't in the Uk.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • I too, have a bike which takes 650c tyres. It's a B'Twin Triban 3 and its stock tyres are crap. I am interested in buying the Specialized Turbo 650c tyres from you. Are you based in the UK?

Contacted Specialized to ask whether they sell their 650c tyres.
    So Specialized aren't bringing spare 650c tyres into the UK for their kids Allez', but there are decent alternatives, such as the Continental 650c GatorSkin which is also a 23mm tyre.

We can source these for you if you would like.