Best Used Hybrid Bicycle for around £300-£400?

itaa
itaa Posts: 61
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi Everyone, Thinking about getting back in to biking... but.. I'm not even sure what I need to look for, or exactly the bike I need.
But I realised that it's probably a hybrid bicycle that I'm after ( where it have the flat handlebars like a regular bicycle, but still has the speed of a road bike, but.. has maybe a bit wider tyres so you can take it off the tarmac as well and that it's more stable as well, but not super wide as for mountain bike as I still want low rolling resistance).

I would rather probably buy a higher-end used bicycle than a brand new cheaper one as I would want to keep it for at least the next 10years + I want a reliable thing as well not something that is made out of butter as I don't want to buy cheap and buy twice.

I don't really care about the styling too much nor that it isn't the latest brand new model, as long as it's not bright pink with flowers it will be good for me.
However speed/reliability/ease of use/ comfort/good reliable gear change is a huge priority for me!

Thanks

Comments

• jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    25% off this year specializeds at tredz they have a sirrus hybird around that price
  • itaa
    ok after spending few hours researching about these type of bikes, seems like I have 2 choices:

- Boardman Hybrid team around £200-£220 for a Mint Used one , ( this is the model above Comp, not sure what's the difference but the Team retails for quite a bit more so probably is better? , The PRO version - it probably is the best but.. its around £400 for an used one which is almost 2x more, can it be 2x better? Doubt so..)

Whyte portabello - around £230 for a mint used one ( there isn't really any of the Cambridge models available in used markets which seems to be a better bike?)

After my research people have said that the whyte portabello is a bit more lively but.. it's really harsh compared to boardman, and the boardman seems to be able to run on thicker tyres (more space for them) if I ever have the need in future?

So which one from the 2 is the better bike overall and would last me longer and give the most bang for my buck?
  • itaa
    yes that's the one.
  • I have that model. It's an absolute steal at £220. Just make sure you get the right size.
    Carrera Subway 2015
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2014
  • itaa
    BUmp! No other suggestions?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I dont know where you found those bikes for those prices - they seem very low. I would expect to pay at least £350-400 for a mint Boardman Hybrid Team from the recent shape (2012 or later) and probably a little more for a mint Whyte Portobello.

The Portobello was updated with a new frame around 2 years ago. Before that it had an aluminium fork and not much clearance for tyres so the description of the ride as 'lively but harsh' was very apt. But the current model has much more clearance for wider tyres and a carbon fork. I think its a little less lively now though.

They would be your two best options I think - but that depends what you want from a hybrid.

The Specialized Sirrus is a much more relaxed cruiser, the two above are more agressive, stretched out, racy bikes. The Sirrus is shocking value for money but that is evened out to some degree when buying second hand.
  • isotonik
    isotonik Posts: 50
    look on ebay, there's lots to be had.