Upgrade my Allez or replace?

Kaz_S
Kaz_S Posts: 22
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all

Just after a bit of advice, I have a 2014 Specialized Allez, the entry level one - so Claris groupset with Tektro brakes. The bike was old stock so wasn't used until I bought it in March this year. I have fitted a shorter stem and narrow bars to suit me, and I'm happy with the bike, being new to road biking I found it comfortable quite quickly.

The issue I have is the brakes, they're rubbish. Now I am a mountain biker, so I am used to high end disc brakes - but I'm sure my rim brakes should/could be better than they are. Do I bite the biscuit and upgrade to better Shimano brakes, or just stick some better pads in there? Having had a look, some pads are almost as expensive than new brake calipers.

I'm also thinking a bit into the future, I am not sure whether to upgrade parts on my Allez as things wear (eventually ending up with a 105 groupset) or sell it on as it is, and buy something better spec'd from the off - like the Dolce Elite -http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Dolce-Elite-Womens-2016-Road-Bike_81311.htm

I commute every day on it, 18 mile round trip, plus some weekend riding if I'm not on my MTB. It's my first road bike too.
Giant Trance and Specialized Allez

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I looked to sell my Allez (entry level - a bit older than yours though) when I bought my carbon road bike - but nobody wanted it at a price I was willing to let it go at (fair enough) - so I kept hold of it.
    I ran the groupset into the ground - then replaced with 105 - most of it secondhand stuff - the only original bits are the left shifter and the front mech.
    It's now my "wet" bike (with mudguards) and I ride it as much as I ride my best bike - and being a good bike - I'm quite happy to jump on that if the other bike is out of service (usually flat tyre just as I'm about to leave for work).

So, my advice - if it's comfortable for you - and you have the space - keep it, buy a better bike for the weekend rides and do cheap upgrades - s/h 105 or ultegra 10 speed kit is available quite cheaply now - or go 11 speed - make it interchangable with your better bike if you go down that route.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    I have a '13 Allez and found the same - the brakes were a bit naff being unbranded jobbies. I run XTR discs on my Heckler so was as underwhelmed as you with the performance.

I upgraded the whole bike to a 105 groupset and use swiss stop green pads over the stock shimano ones and the improvement is massive.

Even putting the greens in will give you an improvement.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The Allez is a decent enough frame, so if you're comfy on it then just sort out the brakes.

I had the same dilemma with some older Tiagra calipers with the all-in-one moulded brake blocks; was considering replacing just the blocks when I spotted some nearly new 5800 calipers on the classifieds on here for £30. I'd been contemplating spending over £20 just on cartridges / inserts, so it was a no-brainer.

I'm sceptical by nature, so I was prepared for there to be very little difference, but the improvement in braking really is astounding; nearly went over the bars the first time I used them. How much is down to the caliper, the metal cartridge holders or the brake blocks themselves I don't know, but it is interesting to note that the same blocks are supplied in Ultegra and Dura Ace calipers too.
    I'm hoping it's mainly down to the cartridges / brake blocks, because I was so impressed I've bought some to go on the long drop BR450s on the winter bike.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Put some 105 5800 brakes on it. They are the best value,best performing calipers for the price and they feature removeable brake pad holders. Unlike the Tiagra 4700 brakes

Skip 105 5700 brakes they are not as good.
  • jjsh
    jjsh Posts: 142
    I'm hoping it's mainly down to the cartridges / brake blocks, because I was so impressed I've bought some to go on the long drop BR450s on the winter bike.

I did exactly that on my winter bike with BR450 long drops ~ they were particularly underwhelming, so I replaced with genuine Ultegra cartridge / blocks. The improvement was huge, and when they wear out I can just bung swisstop or whatever pads n there now they are a proper cartridge system. I'm not saying it made them as good as the Ultegra calipers on my posh bike, but it was a huge improvement.
  • Kaz_S
    Great, thanks all. I assume the 105 5800 brakes will be OK with my Claris levers? I'll keep an eye out for a set.

To be honest, I'm not one for leaving stuff alone anyway (my year old Trance only has the frame and saddle left as it was supplied!), I love upgrading parts and improving the ride.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    JJSH wrote:

I did exactly that on my winter bike with BR450 long drops ~ they were particularly underwhelming, so I replaced with genuine Ultegra cartridge / blocks. The improvement was huge, and when they wear out I can just bung swisstop or whatever pads n there now they are a proper cartridge system. I'm not saying it made them as good as the Ultegra calipers on my posh bike, but it was a huge improvement.

Excellent, that's good to hear. Especially since in this changeable weather I seem to be riding the winter bike more than the summer one. I shall fit them on Saturday morning!
  • DAZZ_A
    DAZZ_A Posts: 74
    I think I'm well positioned to have a word to say on this one having owned an Allez and upgraded.

Mine was a 2014 elite so on a full Tiagra groupset. I also felt very comfy on it so saw no point in buying a new frame and eventfully went down the upgrade route. I decided on going with a 105 5700 full groupset which I sourced individually as and when I saw a good deal, as I didn't have any intentions of needing 11 speed in my life.

I did notice an improvement in braking, not to the extend of nearly going over the bars but it felt more responsive. What was a bigger improvement however was categorically the shifting, the trim adjustment on the front derailleur was a revelation to me!

I have ended up buying a new frame which I built up myself (supersix evo hi-mod) and I do wish I had gone 11 speed on the Allez now so I could interchange parts but that's wonderful hindsight.

My opinion, upgrade, learn a bit as you go along, enjoy it and then move onto something bigger and better once you can, keeping the Allez as an awesome wet bike :D

Oh, and check the leverage ratio on your shifters to make sure they are in range for working with the 105 calliper if your going that route.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    trailflow wrote:
    Put some 105 5800 brakes on it. They are the best value,best performing calipers for the price and they feature removeable brake pad holders. Unlike the Tiagra 4700 brakes

Skip 105 5700 brakes they are not as good.

This to the letter.
    I had 5700 105 calipers on two bikes, and upgrading them to 5800 was a very big improvement.
    If you like tinkering around, you can get the complete 11 speed groupset for less than £300, and as a whole it is better than 5700. Improvements filtering down eventually, I guess.
    My son has an Allez frame and has had no issues with it what so ever.
  • devonboy
    devonboy Posts: 45
    I have the same Allez which I bought to use as winter bike.I replaced the brakes with same setup as on my Roubaix i.e. 5800 brakes with Swissstop BXP pads.Massive improvement and I can't feel any difference in braking performance between the two bikes despite the Claris shifters on the Allez.

I also upgraded the wheels to a spare set of Zondas with 25c GP4000s and again there was a performance gain.

I am amazed at how good a bike the entry level Allez is once sorted.
  • Kaz_S
    Thanks all. I ordered some 5800 105 calipers today, I'll let you know how I get on.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Anyone running a Allez as a race bike? Thinking a eBay Allez add full 5800 and carbon as a cheap race bike or a cervelo s1
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Not mine but see here: viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13060114

Allez are great frames that are built up to a budget, the geometry is the same as the tarmac as far as I know so no issues there. Apart from the basic Allez (the claris one) they have carbon forks for a bit less road buzz. For a cheapish race bike that will inevitably hit the deck at some point you cant go wrong with a 105 5800 group and some secondhand planetx tubular carbon wheels (can be had for circa £200 on ebay etc if you look around long enough).
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Pads make a big difference. I use Salmon KoolStops in my 105s and they are great, much better than the original Shimano pads.