Not so free freehub

joenobody
joenobody Posts: 563
edited July 2016 in Workshop
I recently bought a pair of Pro-Lite Bortolas, second hand, that needed a new freehub (duff springs meaning the teeth weren't engaging, leaving the it spinning but not turning the wheel). I bought a replacement and fitted it the other day, as per this video on YouTube (although it was shimano to shimano). The old freehub was spinning quite freely but the new one is rather stiff. Is this something that will loosen up over time, or should I wipe and regrease the spindle (I haven't done that as I wasn't sure it was necessary)?

Comments

• joenobody
    119 views and no insight? Fortunately I was being a plonker - it doesn't matter how the freehub spins, but rather the wheel on the axle, as I discovered today when fitting the tyre. Thankfully that's fine :o
  • joenobody
    So, coming back to this - seems there is a problem after all. I fitted the wheels the other day but found that the greatly reduced freedom of movement of the freehub meant that when back pedalling, the cassette didn't move with the chain and the chain went slack. The freehub will turn when operated by hand, but it is rather resistant. It seems to me that it's the stop catches (or what ever they're called) at fault here - the springs that keep them out being too strong right now. Can anyone tell me if this is something that will improve over time, or should it be good from the outset? If the latter, any suggestions for fixing it? I'm considering taking the freehub, applying lubricant to the stop catches and manipulating them to loosen them up a bit
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    "Pawls" is the word you seek ("stop catches").

Can't help with the rest though :)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It sounds like you either have the wrong freehub, or something's gone wrong in the dismantling / reassembly process. A new freehub should perform perfectly on installation...
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    It sounds to me like the bearings in the freehub are getting crushed when tightening the end cap- then further still when closing the quick releases. Release the end cap (which holds the freehub) and see if spins more easily. If that's the case, remove the freehub and check the outer bearing is pressed in fully. Tapping or pressing it in should help- only press/tap with an appropriate size tool/socket that fits on the outer ring of the bearing.
  • joenobody
    "Pawls" is the word you seek
    keef66 wrote:
    It sounds like you either have the wrong freehub, or something's gone wrong in the dismantling / reassembly process. A new freehub should perform perfectly on installation...
    jermas wrote:
    It sounds to me like the bearings in the freehub are getting crushed when tightening the end cap- then further still when closing the quick releases. Release the end cap (which holds the freehub) and see if spins more easily. If that's the case, remove the freehub and check the outer bearing is pressed in fully. Tapping or pressing it in should help- only press/tap with an appropriate size tool/socket that fits on the outer ring of the bearing.

It does indeed seem to be the reassembly process. Crushed bearings look likely as it spun more freely as I released the end cap. I think I can find a suitably sized socket so will have a go at seating the bearing better. Thanks :)