Woohooo another EU poll

finchy
finchy Posts: 6,686
edited July 2016 in The cake stop
Brexit - at least it's keeping this forum alive.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    Yawns.
    I was hoping for a diversion away from the football, but even that is more appealing right now.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    It will go full circle, we'll beg to return in 30yrs, having to give up the pound in doing so and UK (or maybe just English and Welsh) youngsters will be turning up at Polish orchards looking to pick fruit for minimum wage with the locals looking on and laughing. Either that or we'll be the wealthiest nation on earth and all flying diamond encrusted hovercars *takes Brexiteer hat off*
  • verylonglegs
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Yawns.
    I was hoping for a diversion away from the football, but even that is more appealing right now.

Is it sad I'm only watching this to see Ronaldo strop when the get elimated?
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Yawns.

Snap
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Yawns.

Snap

You'll have to wait a little longer for your hearts desire!
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Yawns.

Snap
    Snap. Again.
    Hopefully Bale can outshine him.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    I actually do not think we will leave. Give it 18 months to 2 years and the UK will have another referendum on the new terms of associate membership or however you want to word it.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I went with the last option because it's what we deserve. Luckily (or not) I live in Scotland so we will get to stay/rejoin quickly. I was against Indy ref and voted remain, no look what's bloody happened...
  • pblakeney
    HaydenM wrote:
    I went with the last option because it's what we deserve. Luckily (or not) I live in Scotland so we will get to stay/rejoin quickly. I was against Indy ref and voted remain, no look what's bloody happened...
    My guess is that you will have to make another decision within the next 2 years.
    EU or UK.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    PBlakeney wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    My guess is that you will have to make another decision within the next 2 years.
    EU or UK.

Agreed. I doubt a vote for In will make any difference this time round though, I'll be forced to leave the UK for two things I was never in favour of (I was born and raised in England). Hey ho, it's not the end of the world
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    Mr Goo wrote:
    I actually do not think we will leave. Give it 18 months to 2 years and the UK will have another referendum on the new terms of associate membership or however you want to word it.

but the EU is saying no to negotiations until A50 is activated and once that is done, there is no way back to stay? so thats it, so what would there be a referendum on?

all the potential PMs are saying they leave come what May
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Lookyhere wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

but the EU is saying no to negotiations until A50 is activated and once that is done, there is no way back to stay? so thats it, so what would there be a referendum on?

Yes of course they are, because at this moment in time they can't possibly say anything else.

Meanwhile behind the scenes...
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Joelsim wrote:
    Lookyhere wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Yes of course they are, because at this moment in time they can't possibly say anything else.

It's now July, and thoughts are turning to summer holidays. Politicians love their summer vacation.
    Although the EU are ruling out informal talks, betcha lots of "deals" get done on the yachts and around the swimming pools of Europe this summer.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • surrey_commuter
    Joelsim wrote:
    Lookyhere wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

It's now July, and thoughts are turning to summer holidays. Politicians love their summer vacation.
    Although the EU are ruling out informal talks, betcha lots of "deals" get done on the yachts and around the swimming pools of Europe this summer.

that really is not what they mean by informal talks.

Our economy and laws are intricately linked to the EU. Nobody has tried to extricate themselves before. The two years is purely for the extraction - not any future trading relationship. We would rather get as much done as possible before we invoke A50. As we are part of the EU this can not be done legally so it would have to be done "informally" and would involve legions of lawyers and civil servants. This is not two upper class twits having a G&T on a yacht flicking a coin to decide what we do with fishing rights.
  • verylonglegs
    Joelsim wrote:
    Lookyhere wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

that really is not what they mean by informal talks.

Our economy and laws are intricately linked to the EU. Nobody has tried to extricate themselves before. The two years is purely for the extraction - not any future trading relationship. We would rather get as much done as possible before we invoke A50. As we are part of the EU this can not be done legally so it would have to be done "informally" and would involve legions of lawyers and civil servants. This is not two upper class twits having a G&T on a yacht ******* a coin to decide what we do with fishing rights.

Someone obviously failed to point this bit out to Boris about 6 months ago.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    ^I'm not suggesting any coins get flipped. But politicians like to get away from the cabinets, suits, advisers etc and talk face to face. They love it, because they have egos, and believe they personally can steer events. Reality may then kick in, like Jim Callaghan returning to the UK after a winter break. Or Tony Blair at George Bushs ranch. You get the idea.
    Anyway, it's more like the EU politicians getting their ducks in a row.
    And Michael Gove in speedos? I'll leave you with that image.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • surrey_commuter
    ^I'm not suggesting any coins get flipped. But politicians like to get away from the cabinets, suits, advisers etc and talk face to face. They love it, because they have egos, and believe they personally can steer events. Reality may then kick in, like Jim Callaghan returning to the UK after a winter break. Or Tony Blair at George Bushs ranch. You get the idea.
    Anyway, it's more like the EU politicians getting their ducks in a row.
    And Michael Gove in speedos? I'll leave you with that image.

But this is not about the politicians it is about "all EU officials" this is the suits, advisers, etc. the people who will thrash put the deal after the broad terms have been agreed.