Changing brake levers?

Tom_D3
Tom_D3 Posts: 13
edited July 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
My bike has a 2010 tektro auriga comp brake system, but I find the levers too long for single finger use. Recently, a friend gave me his 2011 Hardrock pro, which he had been returned after it was stolen, as he had recieved a new bike under insurance. The returne bike has a large dent in the top tube and no wheels, so is unrideable. However, it is fitted with Shimano BR M445 brakes, of which I much prefer the lever design, so would like to put on my bike. Would it be possible to just change the lever arm, or would I have to change the entire brake lever, or even the entire system? As the brakes currently work well, I would prefer to just have the shimano lever arm on the tektro lever body.

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Unlikely just the lever will fit. The whole assembly might work, if the piston pushes the same quantity of fluid as the Tektro. I'd just change brakes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just swap the brakes, as CD says it's very unlikely a Shimano lever blade will fit where a totally different one from a different manufacturer and designed to give the right feel with multi fingers will work properly in it's place!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.