Upgrading/Fitting Shimano SLX brakes?

Mattcee
Mattcee Posts: 148
edited June 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
My Giant Anthem is currently running Shimano Deore M615 brakes with 160mm discs and the hoses are routed though the frame.
I have a set of used Shimano SLX M675's with 180mm discs that i want to put on and replace the M615's.

I've done quite a bit to my Anthem already and know how to change discs but I've not done anything else with brakes/hydraulics/fluids.

So, my questions are:

1. Can i leave the existing Deore M615 hoses in place and use those to save me routing the SLX cables through the frame or should I use the SLX hoses?

2. When I come to connect the caliper and levers to the hoses, do I need to buy anything new (olives + connectors etc) or will the existing stuff work ok? The SLX brakes are used and the levers/calipers are still connected to the hoses btw.

3. As I'm going up a size in discs, will the SLX 180mm adaptor brackets I have with the brakes just be a case of bolting to the Anthem and replacing them with the 160mm i have now?

Cheers.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited June 2016
    1. I think the SLX use banjo fittings, the Deore not, so if I'm right new hoses (I have bikes with both at home but can't remember)
    2. Generally new olives, which get squashed, and spiky things, unless you can get them out of the old hose.
    3. Probably if they are the right adapters.

Edit - just had a look, my XT and SLX have banjo fittings, my Deore (M596 and M615) don't.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Having used Deore, SLX and XT brakes, I wouldn't bother messing about with hoses and bleeding. Stick the 180 discs on as that will make a difference but you won't feel any real improvement from swapping the calipers and levers. Deores are good brakes.