Daft question on Quick Release skewer

jdee84
jdee84 Posts: 282
edited June 2016 in Workshop
I've never thought of this before when taking a wheel in and out but should there be any play in the distance between each dropout in the front fork when closing a quick release to hold the wheel in there?

Is it wrong if the look to move slightly closer together on closing the skewer mechanism?

Comments

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,002
    It's fine.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • jdee84
    It's fine.

Haha thanks stupid that I never really noticed it before
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    No such thing as a daft question, especially when it comes to QR levers

What you describe sounds perfectly normal. If anything it will make it easier to slot the wheel in.

As long as you're adjusting and closing the QR lever properly you'll be fine. (you'd be amazed how many users don't understand the basics of the QR lever, and sometimes are using them in a dangerous way)
  • jdee84
    keef66 wrote:
    No such thing as a daft question, especially when it comes to QR levers

What you describe sounds perfectly normal. If anything it will make it easier to slot the wheel in.

As long as you're adjusting and closing the QR lever properly you'll be fine. (you'd be amazed how many users don't understand the basics of the QR lever, and sometimes are using them in a dangerous way)

Yeah good point!

Basically i turned the QR lever until it was loose enough to remove the wheel and Swaped tyres over.
    Put the QR back between the dropout and tightened the QR again until i got to the point where there was a medium amount of resistance to closing it over and on closing i thought the forks pushed in slightly and just hadn't noticed it before.