Istanbul Airport Attack - 41 Killed

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited July 2016 in The cake stop
Sad isn't that we are all so wrapped up in our sniping and bitching at each other, the politicians and the 17.5 million that voted to Leave. None of us have bothered to mention this dreadful terrorist attack which occurred on Tuesday night killing 41 innocents.
Puts everything into perspective for me.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Yes it does, and it confirms one of the founding reasons for the EU - security in the face of upheavals on the borders of Europe. No reason to believe the timing was random either if it was Daesh trying to slow down Turkey's moves towards Europe.

As the Exiters say, "we do not have to trade with Europe", but this is in one of the "other markets", and a large one too. Good luck to those who have to to go there to create jobs for little Englanders back home.

I left international sales some years ago, and it is only now I am telling my wife and parents etc how we worked around this sort of risk on a pretty routine basis. The stories over a drink are fun now, but looking back it wasn't really so clever for a young parent to take that risk time and time again. Where the events happened in places where I had been and routinely visited, they were fortunately for me on other days, but only by chance of the sequence of flights and meetings.

Fortunately in my days it was mainly highjacking, hostage taking and the odd random shooting spree and bombing, but not suicide bombing. Even so, not everyone came through unscathed. Yet some of my relatives still don't get why I am so pro EU for trade.

We did get a Queens award for export though.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,738
    I haven't seen anyone with any sense argue that we should only trade with Europe because going outside of that will put our business people at risk but I give you points for trying hard.

I just don't see that this attack has any relevance to us being in or out of the EU - certainly being in isn't going to protect us from IS.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mr_goo
    Such a shame that even this thread has been hijacked by the EU debate. Surely there are already enough on here.
    What next? EU comments on the Song Title and Picture threads?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Got to agree - it's FA to do with EU debate. Islamic State don't give a flying fornication about it.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Such a shame that even this thread has been hijacked by the EU debate. Surely there are already enough on here.
    What next? EU comments on the Song Title and Picture threads?

We gotta get out of this place - The Animals
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Sad isn't that we are all so wrapped up in our sniping and bitching at each other, the politicians and the 17.5 million that voted to Leave. None of us have bothered to mention this dreadful terrorist attack which occurred on Tuesday night killing 41 innocents.

it could be argued you hijacked your own thread
  • mr_goo
    Mr Goo wrote:

You again! Are you stalking me?
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

more studying
  • mr_goo
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

more studying

Busy then.
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    Anyway.....

yes you are right, this attack, the numerous bombings in Iraq and Afghan are very much ignored, whilst we focus on our self made problems.

the anniversary of the Somme, is again a point for reflection on our own very safe lives and how previous generations have given so much so we can have GE's and Referendums.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    The relentless media coverage of these attacks makes it feel like one continuous global war.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Lookyhere wrote:
    Anyway.....

yes you are right, this attack, the numerous bombings in Iraq and Afghan are very much ignored, whilst we focus on our self made problems.

the anniversary of the Somme, is again a point for reflection on our own very safe lives and how previous generations have given so much so we can have GE's and Referendums.

I agree with your sentiment but I'm not sure the Great War is an example of a conflict that gave us political freedom (other than leading indirectly to getting women the vote). However, it is an example of what can happen when political leaders' thirst for power takes over and talking ends.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Another week another pile of bodies. As I pointed out the other week after the last incident, can't even remember what it was, nobody bats an eyelid anymore. The terrorism is failing because we have all become desensitised by it.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Is it failing ? I know the West focus on the West - Istanbul seems a long way away. I'm not sure the Turkish are quite as desensitised as us.

And people are still dying but we are more focused on our own problems. I don't think terrorism is over just yet.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Arguably it is achieving a high success (and despite comments above is potentially linked in part to the EU debate). It won't be lost on IS that their actions destabilising parts of the Middle East are leading to mass migration to Europe and at that immigration by refugees into European countries is starting to cause internal strife and division. I know it is stretching things and far fetched but it isn't completely beyond possibility that those divisions will lead to civil disturbance or worse.