To Supersix Evo or not to Supersix Evo, that is the question...

helmetberg
helmetberg Posts: 36
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
All,

Been thinking of upgrading my road bike for a long time but never got round to it.

After reading extensively into bikes in my price range my head has been turned towards the Cannondale Supersix Evo 105, to make matters worse it's currently got 15% off at Evans.

My question is, should I or shouldn't I? A snip over £1200 looks very enticing for a ride of this calibre.

Cheers,

Berg

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    If you like it then yes. Lots around at the moment due to them being discounted and I like to ride something a bit different. Also at Evans take a look at the BMC Team Machine.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Good prices on Cannondales (and Scotts) at http://www.cycledivision.co.uk 20% off most Cannondales (more on older models and some Scotts) including 2016 Supersix Utegra down to £1519 - well worth the extra few quid.
    Was in there on Saturday and ordered a Synapse Alu Tiagra Disc for the wife at a very good price, 48cm which is smallest mans Synapse but identical geometry to the womens and slightly better speced. Put her on the Guru machine for a quick check on size and it was fine for her - what a piece of kit the Guru machine is if you've never seen or been on one - they input the bike model and size your interested in with bars and saddle suitable and then hydraulics move everything up down, forwards and backwards while you just keep pedaling !
    Oh by the way I have a 2015 Supersix with Sram Force and like most I love it.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • helmetberg
    Thanks all.

The geometry is a little bit more aggressive than my current ride but I don't foresee this being too much of an issue.

Funnily enough I convinced myself my next purchase was going to be the BMC Team Machine SLR02 in electric blue as it really caught my eye but I'm a sucker for a silver bike. Hence the not upgrading too the Ultegra Super Six as the paint scheme is red.

Thanks Galatzo, I'll look in to cycledivision. I'm based in Cambridge but for a bang on bike fit I guess a couple of hours in the car is worth it!
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    This is exactly my thoughts at the moment. Tempted by the ultegra but live the silver colour way. Was looking at BMC but cannondale traditional geometry just gets me every time. Only thing I can't decide is whether I can handle externally routed cables, I'm a bit ocd on that front and my TCR is super tidy with its internal cables.
  • Honestly unless you move the stem down the Six is not that aggressive at all, comfortable, smooth and nippy would be my best description without slipping in to reviewesque platitudes.

Slam stem down and buy one size down would get it aggressive. This discounts are in as they are about to launch the new 2017, which will have disc version in almost all the same models as rim, and I think the rumour is that the standard Supersix has had the frame changes applied from last years Hi-Mods. You won't be disspaointed with the 2016, but you might be disappointed that you didn't wait and see what the 2017 was like or wait until Pauls Cycles starts the Cannondale end of Season pricing!!
  • helmetberg
    I know where you're coming from regarding the cable routing but I've currently got two bikes, one with internal and one without. My Cube Cross Race Pro has external and I never wish it didn't so I reckon I can deal with it.

How's the fit for you guys? I'm 6 ft 3 and verging on a 58. The last couple of bikes I've bought using the manufacturers size guidelines have had their stems swapped out within a week or two as they are too long.
  • Cannondales seem to be on the long side, defo sit on 56 at least and see how it feels. 5ft 10 and I have 54, but pretty sure a 52 would have been better, as you say I shortened the stem
  • effillo
    I'm 6"1 and everyone recommends a 58cm. Not sure on what stem length it comes with as standard.
  • effillo
    Only went and ordered it. Comparing the geometry to my other bikes I went with 58cm, stacks up almost identical to my old cube which was the most comfortably set up bike I've ridden. With cycle to work voucher it works out at £794 so a frigging steal. I've got some nearly new fulcrum Quattros in the shed to chuck on there so will probably sell the Mavics that come as standard so may pull £100ish for them on eBay which puts this bike at £700, not going to get better value than that!
  • helmetberg
    Noice!

Let me know how you get on mate!