Rider weight and bike weight

maksovnik
maksovnik Posts: 2
edited June 2016 in MTB general
Hey everyone :D

I'm 14 years old and ride quite a lot. The trouble is I only weigh 8.5 stone or 119 pounds.This means I can hardly use any of the forks travel and the best way to describe it is that the bike feels like it want's to go it's own way. I don't feel very in control of it. Also I have tried for about 6 months now to bunny-hop or manual but I can't seem to lift the front wheel more than about a foot. I have practised the 'L shape' and watched practically every video on you tube on the subject! Is this because I can't push the fork down to preload enough? :(

My fork is the heavy Suntour XCT HLO - Coil sprung. My bike is the GT Avalanche sport 2016. I have upgraded every part except frame, hubs, rims and fork to better parts ( a lot lighter ) the front end is now heavier than the rear. Could I have upset the balance causing the front end to be almost glued to the ground? :P
I would appreciate it if anyone could suggest any tips for me on how I can adjust my bike to work for someone of my age (New fork???) or make the bike lighter? or is this normal and I am just lacking the skill? (Its about 29 pounds currently (13.2kg)

Thanks guys :D

Comments

• kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    It's only technique. Also, you have to know that 13kgs is not a heavy bike at all. Regarding the fork, get a new one (Rockshox XC32 Air is good for the cheap price) with air suspension, or replace the coil inside your current one with a lighter coil made for your weight.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    At your weight, that ultra heavy fork could make manuals tricky.
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    At your weight, that ultra heavy fork could make manuals tricky.

I weigh just a tad bit more than he and have not had any problems relating to bike weight, even on my cheaper, older and heavier bikes.
    Not saying that a better fork isn't a good idea though.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Greyville are the distributors for Suntour, they should be able to supply you with a soft spring.

https://www.greyville.com/

Manuals are all about technique, you can either do them or can't, fork will make little or no difference to someone who can.