Wet weather touring (gear)

mikedefieslife
mikedefieslife Posts: 3
edited July 2016 in Tour & expedition
Got a tour coming up in North West France, were I'll mostly be camping.

The weather in that region is pretty similar to the UK, so I'm expecting plenty of rain. For brief showers or B&B/hotel nights I normally wouldn't bother, but camping, I can see there being some occasions when I can't dry my gear out.

I'm thinking of waterproof tights, Gore Bike Wear Element Gore-Tex jacket, waterproof cap, and sealskinz socks.

The jacket I'll be able to wear off the bike at a push, so too the socks, though I've never had a pair of sealskinz that didn't leak after a couple of weeks.

Hands are the other thing. A bit of rain isn't a problem, but you generally don't want wet soggy hands, particularly if there is a cool breeze. Though it seems like no-one makes any waterproof summer bike gloves. They all seem to be insulated and so bulky.

Anyway, what's your wet weather gear?

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    If you are touring in the rain, you will be wet inside even the most expensive jacket after a few hours. I don't bother with waterproof tights, socks, gloves or overtrousers (skin is waterproof) and just use a jacket. These have varied from Gore-Tex or similar with a hood to lightweight showerproof stuff like Sportful Hotpack. Your Gore Bike Wear jacket will be fine.

I make sure I wash my kit as soon as I arrive at the campsite and do my best to dry it before the next day. If it's still damp, I strap it to the outside of my panniers to dry in the sun the next day. Slightly damp clothing can be dried out from body heat in your sleeping bag at night. I carry two lots of shorts, socks and cycle tops. If the weather is terrible, with heavy rain day after day, I have to resort to wearing damp or dirty clothing. But that is very rare.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you know you're going to be riding in constant, heavy rain, you should consider mudguards, something to keep the water out of your shoes, and maybe a cotton cap or even something water repellant under your helmet. The peak will help keep the rain off your glasses. Hands and legs I wouldn't worry about though. Or maybe some thin long finger gloves like DeFeet Duras which will get wet but keep fingers warmer if you're doing alpine descents after a soaking. Ditto the socks; I find something like Woolie Boolies stay warm even when wet. Having several pairs of socks can also give you the option of putting on a dry pair at lunchtime, which can give you quite a boost.
  • Cheers for the replies.

I've got mudguards, they protect me and the bike from splashes but don't protect my feet in the driving rain. I'm talking about proper rain not the drizzle we so often get here. Soggy wet damp feet are fine for maybe a day, longer than that and you'll run into problems. Shouldn't be an issue on my tour though, but it is perhaps for the guys that only take 1 pair of shoes. I'll be riding in MTB recessed cleats, with a super lightweight pair of trainers to change into once I've finished riding.

I've got some thin neoprene socks I can take if need be, or some sealskinz. In the dry I use lightweight merino socks.

Head gear I'm fine with, I think a cap of some sort is essential in the rain, so too glasses.

Motorcycle touring europe, I remember very well drying clothes by strapping them to the bike. I guess the same will apply to cycling. In Africa and South America you can't do that though due to the dirty dusty conditions.
  • I'd agree - waterproof top but not waterproof leggings. I take waterproof overtrousers but that's more to stay dry around campsites - the only time I've worn them touring was a cold wet day in northwest scotland.

Have you considered overshoes? They keep your feet warmer if you are riding in rain all day. I wouldn't go for 'waterproof' ones - the water always seems to find a way in.
    Gloves - I take some altura neoprene long-finger gloves (nothing fancy at all) but generally find normal mitts are enough in the rain.