1st audax done, number 2 is in my sights.

slowmart
slowmart Posts: 4,481
So I did my first audax on Sunday, 220k and 2200m of climbing. I took 12 hours plus to complete with 9 hours 46 minutes of riding.

I was happy with the fuelling but disappointed with the riding time which means what do I need to focus on to improve my time/fitness as I'm hopeful of another audax in August which is 302km and 5500m of climbing ? :shock: to add context, Sunday's ride was my most miles and climbing in a days ride I've achieved so far.

I'm about a stone overweight so that's a focus but recognise a more joined up approach is needed.
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,027
    Thats an achievement and a half, well done!

Nothing wrong with the pace as far as I can see, it's not a race.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • slowmart
    That depends if you're riding with guys who are fitter and are continually waiting for you to catch up. And the last 6 hours were in rain....
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,027
    Well there is that.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well I make that 140 miles in old money, and an average speed of over 14mph, and climbing the equivalent of Snowdon twice, so pretty impressive to me!

I'll be 60 next year, and I struggle to get an average speed of 14mph over any distance...
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Did you have a lot of punctures/ mechanicals as 2 hours plus of non riding time seems a lot.
  • slowmart
    The official audax time was 12hrs 16 mins and the Garmin stated 9 hrs 46 mins moving. One guy had two punctures, we set off about 15 minutes late waiting for a mate who didn't show plus three cafe stops.

Desmond Tutu
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Get it down to one cafe stop and you'll knock an hour plus off your time.
    You need to decide if you are on a cafe tour or a bike ride. :D