Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Track Pump alternative for travel

venstervenster Posts: 356
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Can anyone suggest an alternative to my track pump to take on holiday?

Space is at a premium so would ideally like to leave the big pump behind and take a mini one....if it can take CO2 it would be a bonus...

TIA

• slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've got a Lezyne Micro floor pump that attaches to the bike - it's got a pressure guage on it too (although you can get these for the mini pumps now) - and it's not bad - although I do use gloves to pad the handle when using it.
  • venstervenster Posts: 356
    Thanks for the reply, I've just been looking at Topeak Mini Morph because you can take that with you on the bike...yours is a bit too bulky to do that I think.
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,498
    yup - that looks good - not used one myself.
    I've ridden 200 miles with the Lezyne pump on the bike - it comes with a bottle mount bracket - only slight issue I had with it was the metal base rubbing against the bottom bracket as it slipped down - installation issue!

I would get one with a pressure gauge though - as an emergency side of the road, not knowing the pressure doesn't matter too much, but you want to sort it out when you've got to your destination then a gauge will ensure you get the right pressure.
  • fenixfenix Posts: 5,437
    If you're flying you won't be able to take CO2...
    Also CO2 leaks out of tyres after a day or two so you'd need to top it up,

What about an old school frame pump ?
  • keef66keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have a Topeak Road Morph G. Too big for a jersey pocket but a lot smaller than a track pump. Mounts to the frame using the supplied bracket / velcro strap, but it does take the place of a bottle cage rather than fitting next to one. You could mount it to the top tube using zip ties
    In use it's just like a tiny track pump, and has a little inline gauge in the flexible hose. So good in fact I used nothing else for the first 18 months of road bike ownership. Easily gets up to 100 psi.

Not particularly cheap, but very good.
  • drlodgedrlodge Posts: 4,826
    Fenix wrote:
    If you're flying you won't be able to take CO2...
    Also CO2 leaks out of tyres after a day or two so you'd need to top it up,

What about an old school frame pump ?

You can put Co2 in hold luggage, at least you can with Easy Jet. But useless in this case for reasons you state.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • bikeav8orbikeav8or Posts: 77
    https://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/acces ... ump/105425

I have one of these I replaced the valve head tho. It's very efficient
  • venstervenster Posts: 356
    Thanks for your replies.

I'm not flying, but driving and space is a premium in my small hatch back car.

I currently use CO2 instead of mini pump, but look to replace with a decent pump if there's one small enough...
  • meesterbondmeesterbond Posts: 1,240
    The Leyzne one mentioned above is really good.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-micro-fl ... ith-gauge/

Whenever I travel with my bike I chuck it in the bike box. It'll get to 100psi with relative ease and the gauge is good (albeit a little rough and ready). Only slight criticism is that the shape of the handle hurts my sensitive hands but tough that out and it's practically perfect.