tub tyres for someone who shouldn't have tubs

paul_mck
paul_mck Posts: 1,058
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
ok first off Im a wheel whore. I don't know what it is about bike wheels but I love em. carbon ones, deep ones, whatever.

Anyway, I bought a set of reynolds full carbon assault tubs recently. They look awesome, are super light and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

I do mainly 20-50 mile group rides up to 100mile sportives. I never race and never will, but may do a low pressure duathlon at some point.

Anyway, they came with tufo tubs that look pretty cheap and cheerful. Id like to replace them with something that might actually make these ornaments useful to me. I tend to use gatorskins on my clinchers as I never get punctures with them so naturally am drawn to gatorskin tubs.

Whats a good tub for puncture resistance? I really do know naff all about them.

Thanks folks.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Just keep the Tufos on.

Have they got the sealant inside ?

Gatorskins aren't known for their great ride quality anyway.

What spare are you using ?
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Tufos tubs are good for everyday use - they don't have a separate latex inner so you can seal them up with puncture sealant like a tubeless tyre. I'd just keep them.
  • paul_mck
    sweet - any recommendations for a good sealant?

would save a heap of cash and hassle.

cheers
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    I disagree. Take the Tufo's off and get some Veloflex Carbon's
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Get some strong but fastish tubs like like Contis (GP or sprinter) and put some Stans sealant in.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • paul_mck
    turns out the wheels were not 11sp as described. So adding in the cost of a new free hub etc has meant these are not economically viable. So will sell them and get some carbon clinchers I think.

thanks all for the advice.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    If they were advertised as 11sp get your money back.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Or you could get an Edco cassette and Ten-Eleven lockring.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • scott_w1987
    scott_w1987 Posts: 316
    A freehub body is only £40 and literally takes 2 minutes to change on Assualts.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Change the freehub and fit conti competitions or gp4000s tubs.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Tiesetrotter
    Tiesetrotter Posts: 432
    Change the freehub and fit conti competitions or gp4000s tubs.

Good thing with Tufo's is they have no tube. That means the lighter ones will fold up pretty small and you can carry a spare in your rear pocket. Although this is paranoic as in reality Vittoria pit stop or filling your tyre with Tufo sealent should be enough. You can even carry a puncture repair patch and glue it on the outside for an emergency.

Back to tyre choice. I started with Conti's, replaced with freebie Tufo's and finally now settled on Vittora's. They are selling of Pave's pretty reasonably at present and for me they feel much better than the conti's. Probably in my head, maybe it's the latex tubes.

Who knows? But for me Vittora's all the way.
  • paul_mck
    any links to a suitable free hub chaps?
  • scott_w1987
    scott_w1987 Posts: 316
    I used westbrook cycles for mine, didn't hunt about that much as I need effetto tub glue removed and they are the only stockist. But they seemed as cheap as anyone else at £45ish?
  • cycleclinic
    I put a 22mm conti gatorskin sprinter in my jersey pocket with a can of pitstop in the same pocket. Just a standard jersey.
    So I struggle to see why a tufo tub as a spare is needed.

Pitstop does not always work so a spare tub is essential.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'd shy away from GP4000S tubs - they can't be repaired. I know this cos my tub repair man sent me a hugely detailed letter demonstrating this.
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    Just mentioned this on another thread so at the risk of repeating.

I just bought tubs that also came with Tufo's, S33 pro specifically. The tyres cut up noticeably and punctured in the space of a 5 mile shakedown ride and worse the wheels felt heavy. I'd guess rolling resistance isn't a great strength as weight wise they're only 100g a pair heavier than the tires I've replaced them with -

Veloflex Corsa G+. They've transformed the tubs into a light lively feeling wheelset and in 250 miles on the same flinty roads no cuts at all
  • cycleclinic
    however the GP4000sII tub is a great tub and sealant will fix most punctures. the tub now has base tape so I would be surprised if they cannot be repaired now. Older version certainly couldn't.
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    defride wrote:
    Just mentioned this on another thread so at the risk of repeating.

I just bought tubs that also came with Tufo's, S33 pro specifically. The tyres cut up noticeably and punctured in the space of a 5 mile shakedown ride and worse the wheels felt heavy. I'd guess rolling resistance isn't a great strength as weight wise they're only 100g a pair heavier than the tires I've replaced them with -

Veloflex Corsa G+. They've transformed the tubs into a light lively feeling wheelset and in 250 miles on the same flinty roads no cuts at all

Are you getting mixed up with Vittoria? I;m sure Veloflex don't have a graphene tyre yet