rain jacket

gforrow
gforrow Posts: 28
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Chaps,

I've searched and read loads, possibly too much, but I have a question:

In two and a bit weeks I will be doing the Great Weston ride, and before I do, knowing the UK weather in July, I am looking for a rain jacket. It needs to be lightweight, packs into a jersey pocket and all that, just in case I get hit by a shower.

I have a Rapha soft shell for proper rain, but that will be too warm for July, I hope, so recommendations for a not too expensive rain jacket. Appreciate I may cook inside the thing, but it really is a last resort :)

Not looking at spending masses, certainly less than a £100, so please help.

Ta

Comments

• lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I have one of these, in a different colour:

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/153528/pr ... t-red.aspx

I paid more than they cost here, and it's been okay for the times when you just need something to whip out in the odd shower. A little boil-in-the-bag, but then most are. The only slight niggle is it is fairly short on the body.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    I have one of these, in a different colour:

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/153528/pr ... t-red.aspx

I paid more than they cost here, and it's been okay for the times when you just need something to whip out in the odd shower. A little boil-in-the-bag, but then most are. The only slight niggle is it is fairly short on the body.

I also have one, they keep the showers off, I have not tried it in a deluge as yet, but the way the weather is,I am sure I will
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I can pack the Endura Helium in my pocket. At this price I think it's very good value.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endu ... lsrc=aw.ds
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Sportful Hotpack 5 is an excellent "just in case" jacket that packs down nice and small into a jersey pocket.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    I've narrowed it down to 2 and just ordered:

Sportful Hotpack 5
    DHB Aeron Superlight Packable jacket

Whichever fits closest will be kept as my new emergency rain jacket - looking at the forecast I think it'll be needed!! :shock:
  • gforrow
    Thanks for the input.

I saw the pocket rocket, but note that it is not available any longer, but will see if I can find somewhere that does XL, although Rutland pricing is very good.

I will look at the Hotpack 5 as well as the DHB jacket. Not seen the Helium, guess that is another one to review.

Gives me something to do, appreciate the advice
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Castelli Muur. It is proper waterproof so you don't get wet on the inside from all the perspiration you get with the above lightweight stuff. It will fold down and roll up small enough to fit in a jersey pocket. Expensive, but you get what you pay for.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-muur-w ... tabReviews
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • gforrow
    That's pushing the budget a wee bit, but I will have a look at it. Shame it's only a small available, when I need an XL, so will look for alternative places.

Thanks
  • bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    Check out the Hoy Vulpine Portixol. It's what I've just bought. Designed in association with Chris Hoy, and has received high rated reviews all round. It's also been particularly noted for its ability to stave off overheating, due to its vents. It's also being sold off cheaply atm. Just about fits in a jersey pocket.

https://www.evanscycles.com/hoy-vulpine ... t-EV246668
  • gforrow
    I'll have to go in to my local Evans and have a look.

I am concerned that a lot of the rain jackets are just too warm for the spring/summer/autumn weather and are more geared to the cooler winter time.

My main use is the ride in a couple of weeks, hopefully it will be mild. If it's mild and then rains all I need is something to keep the worst of the rain off me as I'm likely to be very warm anyway. Last thing I want is to then wear a rain jacket that heats me up even further. Guess that's where breathability comes into its own.

Finding the whole thing a bit of a minefield if I'm honest. So much choice, but only limited information on those choices.

I'll review all of the recommendations so far, need to get something ordered soon to stand a chance of being ready for the 17th July.

Cheers
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    edited June 2016
    You could just go for a gilet and water resistant arm warmers. Unless heavy rain is forecast that's what I arm myself with
  • gforrow
    Now you've just opened up more research, lol. Hadn't thought about that solution if I'm honest.

I will be wearing a short sleeved jersey, so perhaps a jillet type waterproof would work, just let the arms get wet, or as you say, arm warmers.

Time to hit google again :)
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    edited June 2016
    I have had several rain jackets and by far the best is the AGU Secco Condom. The name is rather unfortunate, but it's waterproof and very breathable. Comes in a variety of colours (if you will excuse the pun). 70 quid, or a bit more for the"pro" version.

http://www.i-ride.co.uk/AGU-Secco-Condom-Jacket.aspx

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Sportful Hot Pack 5 is available as a gilet. Pair that with some Sportful No Rain arm warmers or CastellI Nanoflex and you've got a more versatile combination than just a jacket.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Just grease up with goose fat.
  • gforrow
    Thanks darkhairedlord, but I was only thinking of cycling and keeping dry if there are showers, I wasn't expecting to perform any swimming en-route, although possibly if it rains on the descents, who knows where I'll end up :)
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    MrB123 wrote:
    Sportful Hot Pack 5 is available as a gilet. Pair that with some Sportful No Rain arm warmers or CastellI Nanoflex and you've got a more versatile combination than just a jacket.

Have used exactly this combo (hot pack + nanoflex) on longer rides where it could get warmer through the day but also wetter. Gilet packs down to the size of an apple - very impressive.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Bear in mind that the Hotpack is not really a rain jacket - it's a windproof. I have one and it's great for a quick shower - but I bought it for alpine descents and that's where it excels.

The Hotpack Norain may be an option though for heavier showers.
  • gforrow
    Thanks for that suggestion. I looked at the NoRain version, but a bit expensive.

I have a Rapha softshell for the rain when the temperature is cooler, so really only looking for a summer type rain jacket, i.e. thin and not boil in the bag. Therefore anything that can withstand a light shower should be enough, just to prevent getting wet, then cooling off on descents and the like. I am well aware that if the rain reaches biblical proportions, as it seems to regularly at the moment, then I'm in trouble, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Cheers
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    A quick update - received both the sportful hot pack and dhb aeron.
    I can only give details on features and sizing as haven't worn them in anger.

The Aeron fits quite well, not flappy, but slightly loose. Cheap and cheerful, nothing bad to note from a quality or fit point of view. I probably would have kept it if I hadn't tried the sportful.

The sportful is perfect for me - close fitting with a drop tail, thumb hooks if you want to use them, overall just a much better fitting garment than the dhb for me. Exact same fitting as the fiandre no rain jacket which I also have - now completely covered for all occasions! :D
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    gforrow wrote:
    Thanks for that suggestion. I looked at the NoRain version, but a bit expensive.

I have a Rapha softshell for the rain when the temperature is cooler, so really only looking for a summer type rain jacket, i.e. thin and not boil in the bag. Therefore anything that can withstand a light shower should be enough, just to prevent getting wet, then cooling off on descents and the like. I am well aware that if the rain reaches biblical proportions, as it seems to regularly at the moment, then I'm in trouble, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Cheers

In my opinion, a waterproof in the summer is to stop you from getting cold. You won't be dry unless you're stationary and therefore not sweating. So, I suggest, forget the claims made about wonder fabrics, focus on fit.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Merlin cycles have some great deals at the mo. Just got Lusso Giro for £14 new
  • gforrow
    Went for the hotpack5, ordered from Wiggle due to 20% discount this weekend. Hopefully it is the right move. Thanks for the input