Few hour route around Bakewell?

Big_Jack
Big_Jack Posts: 82
Hi all,
My girlfriend is taking part in the marathon-walk from Bakewell to Carsington Water in September and I'm going to be going up to 'support her' (read: finally ride around the lake district).

I can probably fit in 3/4 hours of riding as I need to jump in the shower and make sure I'm at the finish line - I'm not familiar with the area - can anyone recommend a little route to finish back at Bakewell or just general top-sights to see?

I am undecided whether I'm going to take the road or mountain bike so I'll pop this post in both forums..

Cheers,

Jack

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Follow the first part of the Eroica Britannia until the top of the Goyt valley, then find a way back to Bakewell... it's a very good ride. You should be able to find it on Strava
    left the forum March 2023
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Jack, are you on Strava?
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Big_Jack wrote:
    Hi all,
    My girlfriend is taking part in the marathon-walk from Bakewell to Carsington Water in September and I'm going to be going up to 'support her' (read: finally ride around the lake district).
    Bakewell isn't in the Lake District it's in the Peak District :wink:

There's plenty of good riding around there you don't need to look on Strava just get a map and head out.Head for Great Longstone,Stoney Middleton,Castleton,Edale and just create a loop and you won't go far wrong.
  • Big_Jack
    Big_Jack Posts: 82
    Doh! Peak District* - it's been a long day..

I am on Strava! https://www.strava.com/athletes/6160216

Difficult to mount my phone as a satnav but I might be able to write down the route.
  • andcp
    Hi Jack,
    pm sent - let me know if you need more.
    Andy.
  • phippss
    phippss Posts: 96
    Have a look at the link for Matlock 10 sportive

http://darkwhitecycling.co.uk/wp-conten ... k-2015.pdf

Matlock is only about 6 miles from Bakewell and this route will give you a good idea of the area and a bit of a challenge :?
  • stifflersmom
    stifflersmom Posts: 177
    Follow the first part of the Eroica Britannia until the top of the Goyt valley, then find a way back to Bakewell... it's a very good ride. You should be able to find it on Strava

Good suggestion. From the top of the Goyt a good route back to Bakewell would be Flash - Longnor Crowdicote -Monyash- Over Haddon.
  • andcp
    phippss wrote:
    Have a look at the link for Matlock 10 sportive

http://darkwhitecycling.co.uk/wp-conten ... k-2015.pdf

Matlock is only about 6 miles from Bakewell and this route will give you a good idea of the area and a bit of a challenge :?
    Yes, lovely little ride, did it solo last year - you could start at Rowsley which is only 3 miles from Bakewell. One or two of the roads are a bit busy, but some great climbs. Doable in sub 3 hours.