Replacement disc brakes for Carrera Gryphon disc

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited July 2016 in Commuting general
My Avid BB7 are in the bin, looking at new brakes. What options do I have?

Keeping Avid levers, staying with cable
or hydraulic set

front and rear 16cm rotors
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    flat bar or drops?

If the former, then you could stay with Mechanical and go with TRP Spyres, or go the whole hog and change to hydraulic.

I've just replaced the front BB7 with an XT hydro and the difference is positive; no more squeaking (esp in the rain) or adjustment, with just the right amount of power when you need it.
  • father_jack
    flats. What about this set?

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-de ... 62194.html

I have the rotors from BB7 and the Tektros before them, plus mounting from the Avid BB7's
  • gbsahne001
    edited June 2016
    Looks like a good price for the set, I also used the BB7 rotor and mount for the replacement brake and it worked fine.

The only issue I had was hose length and had to shorten the hose to make it work. This looked to be a bit of a faff and without a vice time consuming, so asked the LBC to do it for the princely sum of £9.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I got the next level up from Merlin for about another 25 quid - superb brakes. Difficult to say what the difference is with my previous but the Shimano XT brakes really do fill me with confidence
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It all depends what you want...

Mechanical are mostly heavier (although mine on my Gryphon are lighter than many hydraulic) need more frequent maintenance but are easier to maintain.

Hydraulic will be a bit more expensive and more powerful (mostly), require less routine maintenance but when needed is a bigger faff.

For a commuter you don't need anything flash have you considered the Shimano trecking options? Such as http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/in/e ... at=product
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gbsahne001
    The Rookie wrote:
    It all depends what you want...

For a commuter you don't need anything flash have you considered the Shimano trecking options? Such as http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/in/e ... at=product

That's £5 more expensive than what has already been suggested, as it's per brake
  • father_jack
    I'm ok with mounts and those M615 I won't need to buy another set?
  • father_jack
    Went for the Shimano M615 set. WIll need to get them shortened and rebled
  • father_jack
    brakes arrived but it seems to be euro method, right is rear, left is front! So when I get them shortened I have to flip the hoses around
  • father_jack
    having problems fitting, mainly the front one- the avid disc mount doesn't seem to match up. Just putting on the caliper on the mount, the inner part of the brake hits the mount. If I flip the mount, the lower part of the caliper internal stops out I cannot push the caliper onto the mount.

I'll have to take it the bike shop I think

pretty sure I need this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Disc- ... SwNSxVbH8-
  • gbsahne001
    Getting the hoses shortened involves removing the hose from the reservoir, so swapping them round shouldnt be an issue. I specifically ordered mine to be front brake on the left, as I wanted to keep the RH shifter....I just have to remember which bike I'm on.

I had no issues using the post mount from the BB7for mine but not like for like, as mine's an XT....good luck.
  • father_jack
    just bought offical shimano 160mm front IS mount. Fingers crossed should fit