wanted ;- 11 speed wheelset buying advice

bing gordon
bing gordon Posts: 662
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
What's a good cheap 11 speed clincher wheelset to buy either new or 2nd hand ?. I bought a 2nd hand bike with tubs and a sram 11 spd groupset so I need to swap them out.

Comments

• ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I think you would have to define your 'cheap' as one man's cheap is another man's 'HOW MUCH'. For the sort of riding that I do, I have never really felt the need to buy anything 'higher' than Fulcrum Racing 5 LGs and I have always found them tough, reliable and comfortable with my usual 25mm Coninental GP 4 Seasons. If I remember correctly, I paid around £150 for mine last year which I considered to be extremely cheap. Mrs ayjaycee permitting (assuming I told her the correct price!), I could afford something a lot more expensive but can't help feeling that I would be wasting my money.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • bing gordon
    bing gordon Posts: 662
    thanks for that
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you don't want / need to follow the trend for wider rims, the budget end of Shimano's road wheels are pretty good VFM. RS010s can often be found for around £70 a pair.

I've had a pair of their 10 speed predecessor, the RS10, for nearly 9 years. Only replaced one spoke and a set of bearings, and they are still going strong
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    ayjaycee wrote:
    I think you would have to define your 'cheap' as one man's cheap is another man's 'HOW MUCH'. For the sort of riding that I do, I have never really felt the need to buy anything 'higher' than Fulcrum Racing 5 LGs and I have always found them tough, reliable and comfortable with my usual 25mm Coninental GP 4 Seasons. If I remember correctly, I paid around £150 for mine last year which I considered to be extremely cheap. Mrs ayjaycee permitting (assuming I told her the correct price!), I could afford something a lot more expensive but can't help feeling that I would be wasting my money.
    If your budget is a bit lower then Fulcrum Racing 7 LGs are a good bet. Have them on the winter bike and they have been excellent for the price. Looks like they can be had for £109 currently at Wiggle.