Referendum on a referendum

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited June 2016 in The cake stop
I wholeheartedly agree with those that have said that another referendum on Brexit would be undemocratic (though Nigel was keen enough on the idea when he thought Vote leave would narrowly lose).

However, given that there does seem to be a lot of second thoughting going on, why not have a referendum on whether or not we should have another referendum? If the result of that was in favour of another referendum then it clearly would be democratic to hold another referendum on our EU membership and that could decide things once and for all. It would be expensive and tedious but the costs would be miniscule in comparison to the losses incurred by Brexit.
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Rolf F wrote:
    I wholeheartedly agree with those that have said that another referendum on Brexit would be undemocratic (though Nigel was keen enough on the idea when he thought Vote leave would narrowly lose).

However, given that there does seem to be a lot of second thoughting going on, why not have a referendum on whether or not we should have another referendum? If the result of that was in favour of another referendum then it clearly would be democratic to hold another referendum on our EU membership and that could decide things once and for all. It would be expensive and tedious but the costs would be miniscule in comparison to the losses incurred by Brexit.

:D you wait 40 years for one and then three come along
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Liam Fox has just said there is zero chance of a second referendum. Same with Scotland.... this Sturgeon woman is a fanatic and the majority of people who voted to stay in the UK have to be respected. Difficult times.... rule by opinion poll is alive and well.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
    Let's not rush into this. Maybe we should have a referendum on whether to have a referendum on another referendum?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Hang on, I'll just ask my missus.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    But who will be allowed to vote? Surely only those who voted out should get to vote
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited June 2016
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Liam Fox has just said there is zero chance of a second referendum. Same with Scotland.... this Sturgeon woman is a fanatic and the majority of people who voted to stay in the UK have to be respected. Difficult times.... rule by opinion poll is alive and well.
    I don't agree the Scottish situation is the same - they voted to stay on the UK 55:45 when he UK was part of the EU, and Scotland has voted 60:40 (I think?) to stay in the EU so the argument that things have changed enough that they can justify another referendum seems plausible at least (whether it would actually happen is another matter). And that was in the SNP manifesto so they can easily claim they have a mandate to go for a second independence referendum.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    oxoman wrote:
    We've made our decision known, we should just put up, shut up and get on governing our country how we want, not how Merkel and her cronies want. They're now busy squirming and back tracking over certain tough love comments / tactics because they realise they have been caught out and they're in the shite. Don't invest in euro's there next for the bin.

Yep we have really shown them.

It reminds me of the time my neighbour would not cut his leylandi down. It made it dark in my house but he liked the shade it provided. Anyway I burnt my house down and now the fucker has to live next door to a burnt out shell with a caravan outside.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    oxoman wrote:
    We've made our decision known, we should just put up, shut up and get on governing our country how we want, not how Merkel and her cronies want. They're now busy squirming and back tracking over certain tough love comments / tactics because they realise they have been caught out and they're in the shite. Don't invest in euro's there next for the bin.

Yep we have really shown them.

It reminds me of the time my neighbour would not cut his leylandi down. It made it dark in my house but he liked the shade it provided. Anyway I burnt my house down and now the ****** has to live next door to a burnt out shell with a caravan outside.

This is wasted on those to whom it is directed but nice all the same!
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Liam Fox has just said there is zero chance of a second referendum.

I know but that's not what I'm talking about; second referendum is another thread. This is new referendum followed by second referendum. My idea is 50% genius (and nobody else has suggested it yet afaik) and 50% utter stupidity. But since holding referendums is utter stupidity anyway, all I'm doing is joining in the stupid fun! I'm that stupid maybe I should be a politician.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:
    I don't agree the Scottish situation is the same - they voted to stay on the UK 55:45 when he UK was part of the EU, and Scotland has voted 60:40 (I think?) to stay in the EU so the argument that things have changed enough that they can justify another referendum seems plausible at least (whether it would actually happen is another matter). And that was in the SNP manifesto so they can easily claim they have a mandate to go for a second independence referendum.

theres been a suggestion they wrote that because it was supposed to guarantee there wouldnt be a 2nd independence referendum, because they assumed that an In/Out referendum, and again its suggested it was all promised on the basis the Tories wouldnt get an overall majority so wouldnt have to see it through anyway, would come down as a vote to stay.

dont you love politics :)