MTB convert to commuter

Rhod81
Rhod81 Posts: 116
edited July 2016 in Commuting general
Hi,

I am currently in the middle of changing my old MTB (a 2011 Rockhopper) which never sees any off-road action to be a more suitable steed for my 10-mile commute.

A few obvious changes such as slick tyres, I'm also changing from the triple chain set to a 9x1 setup (I only ever use the big ring anyway)...

However, the biggie is changing of the forks. I intend to take off the fairly rubbish suntours that came with it and swap for some rigids.

I have been looking at these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAVA-26-27-5- ... L1_HsnlonQ

My main question is obviously you put rigids on a suspension equipped bike, you have to take into account the height of the existing fork. I have measured the suntours and the axle to crown (the underside of the crown central to the steerer tube) measures 450mm. The above linked forks are 420mm.

Do you think the 30mm would make much difference?

Thanks.

Comments

• Rhod81
    Been looking at these too...

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Gusset-Jury-Cr- ... _59716.htm

A to C 425mm
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The fork would sag of course so actual ride height will be around 430mm, and you are usually fine taking off another 20mm so I'd be looking at the 410-430 area.

I recommend the Mosso fork here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-2010-MOSS ... iO5WOqTpUA

Lighter and cheaper than the Java fork (and UK based), and a lot lighter than the Gusset.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Mosso is an excellent commuting fork, light (lighter than many carbon), fairly aero, it has enough compliance to take the sting out of rough surfaces and it also looks just fine on an MTB. Yes I have one.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Rhod81
    Thanks both... Looks like the one for me :-)
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    +1 for the Mosso got mine from eBay shipped from China and arrived in two weeks.
  • Rhod81
    Hey Guys, right... Got the Mosso fork.

Looks good... Got the white one, works nice with my black and white Rockhopper.

HOWEVER... Came to fit the brake and uh oh... Wrong mount. Cue much swearing...

Not a big deal as I guess I just need a post mount adaptor thing, but whilst holding the caliper in place I noticed just how little clearance there is to the spokes from the inner part of the caliper. I'm guessing I'm just being a little paranoid as I suppose no matter what shape and size the forks are, once the disc is in the correct part of the caliper, the forks are pretty irrelevant.

Anyone else notice something like this?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The spokes will run close to the calliper, the closer they are the better angle they make for keeping the wheel true, not an issue honestly.

Do you have IS or PM mount on the fork?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.