11 - 34 8 speed cassette?

gt-arrowhead
gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
edited June 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, my chain and cassette are on their last legs, and i am looking to replace them.

Problem is, my current set up is an 8 speed setup so i have an 8 speed shifter, and a 7 speed rear mech. So going for a 9 speed will be an extra 30 quid more bare minimum since ill need not only a shifter but a rear mech, as 7 wont accomodate a 9 speed. But going 9 speed will obviously give me much better performance with the 36t at the back.

And when searching i saw this cassette:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Acera ... SwuAVWxJVE

Its tempting, but im not sure how well it would work when shifting with the big gap from 7 to 8. Would it be worth getting it to save myself buying a new mech and a new shifter (or being stuck with a 32t 8th gear)... or should i bite the bullet and go 9 speed?

Comments

• gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Probably worth adding that im running a 1 x 8 with a 32t upfront
  • ade555
    ade555 Posts: 216
    Probably worth adding that im running a 1 x 8 with a 32t upfront

I stand to be correct but the only cassette I have seen 9 speed 11-32/11-34 or 12-36, the 12-36 will give you better climbing gear but you will have to pedal faster on flat surface with the smallest ring only been 12, if you thinking of going 9 speed may is well get 1 x10. You will get better range
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The big jump from 26 to 34 on those 8 speed cassettes is horrible. Stick with 32. That goes from 28 to 32 which is a much saner jump.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you went 9 speed you would not need a new rear mech, unless it physically cannot reach the largest sprocket you plan to use.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you want to try, pm me with your address. I'm sure I can find an old shifter for you. Probably pretty grotty but working and as cheap as free. You will need a new chain as well though. Bear with me for a day or so and I'll dig out a cassette and chain I've just taken off a bike I stripped. (Along with the shifter.) Pretty worn but work fine together. Probably have a larger capacity mech, but it's cold outside so I'll look tomorrow.

I won't even ask for pictures of your mum.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools