Garmin 800 memory almost full/full

Quins
Quins Posts: 239
edited July 2016 in Workshop
I've had 2 years trouble free use of my 800 with HRM and cadence but it's now playing up. I did a rude recently and the warning "memory almost full " kept coming up, then it said memory full.

I did some googling and found that I should check the files via my computer. I found that my computer had transferred/ backed up a load of files and photos ( MBs worth) to the sd card. I deleted those files and thought I'd solved the issue.

Out in a 64 mile ride tidal and the same messages cold up. Almost full followed by full after about 30 odd miles. I re set the Garmin after deleting a couple of stored routes/rides and it managed to upload the ride to Strava in 2 separate rides.

Seems like it recorded both, but did say that memory was full each time. I also checked that it was set to store data in sd card.

Any suggestions what I need to do to rectify the messages coming up and to really check if the memory/sd card us full?

There are POIs on the unit and I couldn't find how to delete them from the computer ( should I delete them?)

Grateful for advice, I'm not that technical and find the Garmin not very user friendly

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Simply delete the older rides from the card, it will still work.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Quins
    Thanks redvee, I should've added that I've deleted old activities previously.

I checked the memory and it is showing plenty of memory left on the unit and the sd card. It might just be that the warning message keeps coming up for some reason. Amy one else experienced this?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Quins
    Thanks Sungod, if I re format the card will I lose what's on it and have to reload maps etc?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Have you inadvertently got it saving rides to the device and not the card?
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Quins
    Philthy3

" I also checked that it was set to store data in sd card." As above. And there was plenty of memory left on the unit and the sd card when I checked after the ride.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    If your "PC" is a Mac or Linux - have you emptied the trash after deleting the excess files?
  • Quins
    It's pc and emptied the recycle bin,trash.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Sounds as if the Garmin is still seeing the memory capacity as full. When my Garmin misbehaves I usually find that doing a hard reset/restore factory settings resolves the problem.

You mention clearing the 'activities' folder on the device but not the 'courses' one.....

You delete POIs on the device not the computer btw....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Quins
    I couldn't work out how to delete the POIs on the unit, how do you do that?
  • Quins
    Resolved by doing a search in very folder while it was plugged in to pc. There was still some shoit stored on it from the PC, I thought I had cleared it. Seems to be back to normal for the last few weeks.