Urgent new Tubeless Road wheeleset, 300gbp

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,661
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
hi guys

4 days before my holiday in the alps and my fulcrum racing 3s (Less than 18months old!!!) have given up the ghost.

i need some replacements quickly. has anyone got experience of the shimano ultegra 6800 wheelset? do you like them?

abother option is a 32 hole pacenti on dt swiss 350 from superstar whichare 200g heavier for both (but obviously different)

Any other thougts? speed is of the essence so Hunt or handbuilts are not an option :evil:

thanks
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    ddraver wrote:
    hi guys

4 days before my holiday in the alps and my fulcrum racing 3s (Less than 18months old!!!) have given up the ghost.

i need some replacements quickly. has anyone got experience of the shimano ultegra 6800 wheelset? do you like them?

abother option is a 32 hole pacenti on dt swiss 350 from superstar whichare 200g heavier for both (but obviously different)

Any other thougts? speed is of the essence so Hunt or handbuilts are not an option :evil:

thanks

2-way Zondas could be an option. A bit heavier than what you might be looking for but pretty bombproof and well reviewed.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-zond ... 60518141uk

EDIT - Sorry - the link above is for the standard clincher. The 2-way fit wheels are £100 more expensive

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-zond ... -wheelset/
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    No idea what they are like but the Wiggle Cosine range includes a tubeless compatible wheelset well within your budget.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cosine-32mm-all ... -wheelset/
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    arlowood wrote:
    The 2-way fit wheels are £100 more expensive

Why is this?

Seems the biggest rip off in cycling to me!
  • ddraver
    The Zondas are basically the Fulcrums and im not happy with a sub 2 year life time really (although I suppose that's a little unfair, but the rear bearings are going, the rims are on the point of feeling a little concave and I don't like how hard the spokes are to get hold of (and how much they cost) so I don't really see the point in mending them whenin my head they were probably done for at the end of the summer)

I saw the Cosines but they re basically the same as the shimano and i'm not sure going for the unknown is such a good idea (though i suppose wiggle is hardly unknown...)

what i dont getBout the shimanos is the apparent, stiff wheel for lightweight (according to reviews) and a 120kg rider limit but they only have 16/20 spokes - that doesnt compute...
    - @ddraver
  • clogg
    clogg Posts: 70
    I've had a set of shimano rs610 running tubeless on a winter bike for the last year or so. Absolutely no problems with them and ridden in all weathers. light enough compared to others in the same price range and on special at chain reaction at the moment.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/e ... prod121535
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    See if Malcolm at the Cycle Clinic has got anything in stock he could send you out next day delivery.
  • ddraver
    I was hoping Mr Clinic would be snooping around here tonight yes ;)

He sold me the frame after all!
    - @ddraver
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    ddraver wrote:
    I was hoping Mr Clinic would be snooping around here tonight yes ;)

He sold me the frame after all!

I think DCR and Just Riding Along keep a few sets in stock at all times too. Could be worth an email to explain your predicament.
  • thomasmorris
    thomasmorris Posts: 373
    I've had 6800, ran both tubeless with bontrager R3 25 mm and with tubes and conti gp4000 23mm. I really like the tubeless, only not running tubeless currently because I had a pair of conti's which needed using.

Feel really stiff laterally. They're heavier than zonda's, but I think most of that is in the hub, not the rim, so they spin up nicely (felt lighter than my carbon 38mm Chinese novetec wheels).

Front wheel did 13,900 km before rim wear made me change it (not economical to re-build).
    Rear wheel still going at 16,800 km. Bearing super smooth, never re-greased.

I'd buy them again (in fact i replaced the front wheel like for like). Downsides are I wouldn't mind a wider inside diameter. And they can't be re-built economically, which is a shame because the hubs run so smooth and deserve a longer life.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I have those wheels - £207 from Wiggle last autumn. Nice enough. No problems. Not used them for tubeless though.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    6800 rims are pretty much the same as the dura ace c24 rim. I.e. light and don't last for ever. my c24's are into Their 3rd year of occasional use. Done around 7000 miles on them and they have been bombproof. The hubs are smooth and they spin up really fast. I’m around 78kg, and haven’t noticed any issues except the carbon/ plastic outer marks quite easily. They are also quite narrow and you get a bit of lightbulbing with 25mm conti tyres.
  • ddraver
    I've had 6800, ran both tubeless with bontrager R3 25 mm and with tubes and conti gp4000 23mm. I really like the tubeless, only not running tubeless currently because I had a pair of conti's which needed using.

Feel really stiff laterally. They're heavier than zonda's, but I think most of that is in the hub, not the rim, so they spin up nicely (felt lighter than my carbon 38mm Chinese novetec wheels).

Front wheel did 13,900 km before rim wear made me change it (not economical to re-build).
    Rear wheel still going at 16,800 km. Bearing super smooth, never re-greased.

I'd buy them again (in fact i replaced the front wheel like for like). Downsides are I wouldn't mind a wider inside diameter. And they can't be re-built economically, which is a shame because the hubs run so smooth and deserve a longer life.

You re talking about the Shimanos yes? (not the Bontys) - if so I think that's swung it...
    - @ddraver